🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it possible to get a job in America after two years education in Game Design?

Started by
1 comment, last by Promit 10 years, 2 months ago

I am a Chinese Senior Student now. My bachelor degree is electrical engineering. So my programming level isn't so good. I can write some small program that contains 500 lines(could be optimized better). I know C\C++, python languages. My bachelor courses just have C language, other languages are learned by myself. I'm just started to learn data structure and algorithm.

Now I have been admitted to a US university for a master degree. This school provide a lot of courses on Game Design, especially on programming. I have determined to transfer to CS now, but I'm still not sure if I should learn game design. I should learn some basic knowledge of computer science including OS, database and so on. So I'm not sure whether I have enough time qualified to game industry!

Advertisement

1. Is it possible to get a job in America after two years education in Game Design?
2. I am a Chinese Senior Student now. My bachelor degree is electrical engineering.
3. Now I have been admitted to a US university for a master degree. This school provide a lot of courses on Game Design, especially on programming. I have determined to transfer to CS now, but I'm still not sure if I should learn game design.
4. I'm not sure whether I have enough time qualified to game industry!

1. ANYTHING is possible. Except time travel to the past, and the Star Trek holodeck.
2. Wait. You already have a bachelor's degree?? You can get a job in America now.
3. Learn game design if you want to. If you're going to pursue a job in games, it would be beneficial to at least take one course in game programming while pursuing your masters degree.
5. Not yet, you don't. You need a portfolio to supplement your bachelor's degree (my response to #2 above did not assume you were talking about a game job).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I strongly believe you'll be better served by taking a non-games job for a while first.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement