🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Environment Artist to MA or not to MA?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 5 months ago

My BA is in Interior and Furniture Design, more closely aligned with interior architecture than decor. I got really into building 3D models of my buildings and interior spaces and this became the most interesting aspect of the programme to me.

I'm 29 and have been working in educational management due to a lack of jobs in the construction industry in my country.

I'd really like to work as an environment artist and maybe level design down the line, but I'm torn between whether to do an MA in Game Design or whether to just learn Maya and Zbrush, build up a portfolio and try to get work without any game specific education.

I've received mixed advice on this issue from a few people that I've talked to in the industry, just looking for some feedback/advice/personal accounts.

Advertisement

What are your reasons? There are many excellent reasons to get a masters degree, there are also many horrible reasons that will likely end in your dropping out or finding the degree worthless.

Spend some time really thinking about your motives, and make a list.

If you want to do it because it will make you more valuable as an employee, or because you think you can get jobs easier, then you probably shouldn't. If those are your reasons then apply for the jobs now.

If your reasons are focused more toward you want to better yourself, or if your goals are to get the education for the education's sake, or if your career goals eventually including teaching others, then perhaps it is a good idea for you. At this point make a list of reasons against doing it including things like cost of time and money. Then you get to balance them out and decide what wins.

If you want to do it because it will make you more valuable as an employee, or because you think you can get jobs easier, then you probably shouldn't. If those are your reasons then apply for the jobs now.
If your reasons are focused more toward you want to better yourself, or if your goals are to get the education for the education's sake, or if your career goals eventually including teaching others, then perhaps it is a good idea for you.

Quoted for truth.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement