🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio and advice

Started by
3 comments, last by Secretmapper 10 years, 5 months ago

Would you kindly take a look and critique my portfolio?

• I think one of my biggest problems is me not actually showing any code.
  • I do not have enough flavor text to discuss my roles in each project. Perhaps I should actually expand each game/project, (with different screenshots, and maybe screenshots of code? that will look pretty :)

===========

The university that seems like a very viable option for me is only offering a B.A. in Multimedia Studies. Should I look for another university that offers a traditional CS degree? Is it that important, or would the B.A. in MS be enough to at least get me looks?

Advertisement

1. The university that seems like a very viable option for me is only offering a B.A. in Multimedia Studies. Should I look for another university that offers a traditional CS degree?
2. Is it that important,
3. or would the B.A. in MS be enough
4. to at least get me looks?

1. If you want to be a game programmer, yes.
2. Depending on what game industry role you aspire to, maybe. The degree in multimedia studies could be okay, if you teach yourself the rest of what you need to know so you can build a portfolio.
3. Read FAQ 49. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson49.htm
4. The way to get "looks" is to put yourself in the line of sight while appearing to be the right person for the job.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for your reply!

if you teach yourself the rest of what you need to know so you can build a portfolio.

Have you taken a look at my portfolio? Any ways I can improve?

Thanks in advance again :)

Here are a few things that I noticed when I went through your portfolio:

• When I initially entered your site through the link, I was presented with a view of your (past) projects, this in itself is alright, but I have no clue who you are and what you do. For example, I would personally like to see what kind of person I am look at, so at your home page (which isn't used at the moment) I would put something like: John Doe - Game Programmer.
  • Get your home button to work. I was down at the page, wanted to go back up, clicked home, nothing happened. This is probably because you are not using it, so make use of it! :) (or get rid of it)
  • I would name the past projects part simply just projects, guess that's just something my eye caught and might not be the most important.
  • On your projects page, give the images a little header with the name, also a personal preference though. Isn't much of an error, but it might be something that can intrique people in checking it out.
  • As you indicated yourself already. A lot more information on what you did during the project (if able, also some snippits) is desired. For all I know, you did all the art instead of programming. When presented with a project, I would love to see a list of what is used (programming language, techniques, etc) so I can quickly skim through your projects and see what you did.
  • Your about me is probably fine, but I am missing a full resume.
  • Your other section should be an extenstion to your about me. It contains information you want people to be able to view directly that is about you.
  • When I open up the certifications, I expected actual certificates you got through examination of official institutes and not something gained through a website. I personally never heard of brainbench and I don't know how widely accepted it is, so that might be something you could look in to.
  • Education is providing me with links I do not know and actually don't want to click. I came to your site to see who you are, what you did and what you are capable of. Education is important, but I don't want to figure out what you did on another website. Make it easy for me.

The main thing that you will probably need to keep in mind is that recruiters will go to your site, skim through it and put it on the yes/no pile. You want to have all the information that is important presented to them in a clear way without them losing track.

I think it's on the right track, but needs some more work.

Good luck! :)

Thanks @Rid_ ! You bring very valuable points and I'll be sure to add them on my to do list!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement