🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Communicating with Sales staff as a programmer

Started by
11 comments, last by jonathan_goodman 10 years, 7 months ago

Time to go solo. Stop working for the man and become self-employed. Work on your own terms. Sign up for healthcare. Problem solved.

Advertisement

Hmm... Don't you have a producer to take care of that for you? :)

I mean really, that's one of producer's tasks to be the translator between you and the business guys. And if the company is indeed as JGM described

"First of all, based on your post it looks like you are working for a very small company having not more than 3 to 4 developers. And it appears that you are the smartest of the lot (probably central figure) i.e. you know the most of the existing products and are solely leading the development efforts on other products"

then a hat of the guy who is in charge of communication is clearly not for you. If you are indeed the central figure, one of the other guys should make sure they will be able to understand you. It's going to be a mutual endeavour, not only a task on your side.

It is very cool that you want to improve your communication skills though - it's always useful!

Hey Eric...I sincerely hope things work out between you two.
None of the work places are unsatisfactory in general, mine wasn't terrible either. I had the option to work from home all five days a week, generous vacations and could have stayed there forever but...
One has to always plan for future (we are not going to remain 20+ youngster forever doing level one basic bug fixes), create a platform which is stable and provides growth in money terms, job status and responsibilities over a period of time.
Very small companies are usually owned and managed by a few founding members or are family managed (husband and wife combo).
If managed by some partners than their can be some hope for growth.
If however it is specifically managed by husband/wife combo (as in my case) then things are no longer professionally managed. Chances of growth are nil. One can continue to work in current status quo forever with basic quarterly/yearly gains but growth cycle reaches a dead end.
These companies typically employ freshers/part timers from various fields to get through the day and where every incoming support request calls for a unnecessary company wide meeting to keep everyone motivated.
These companies provide a good launchpad for youngsters to get started and straight away jump into thick action but nothing beyond. Its like a college once you graduate you need to move on or keep repeating the same classes over and over again.
Your post allowed me to share my experiences. Not sure if they apply in your case.
Anyways....I wish you all the best for future!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement