🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some advice and a bit of direction for a soon to be grad

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on these forums and I was hoping to get some advice here. I'm close to graduating college soon and I have a somewhat clear idea of where I'd like to end up though I have no clue how to reach the place where I'd like to be...

I've been studying as a game design student for 4 years now and I slowly figured out that I like to tweak numbers, test them out, tweak numbers again, and then test them out again. In short, anything that needs balancing/tuning seem to be something that I want to do.

I also found out I like to make levels and adding the smaller details to levels E.G: When making small dungeons in the Elder Scrolls creation kit, I tend to focus on the small details of a room to make it look lived in if there was a story to the dungeon.

Being so close to graduation, I know my chances of getting hired are near zero in a triple A environment, yet at the same time, being in a financial crisis where your parents are also depending on you to make some money to help them out (as soon as you graduate) puts a lot of unneeded pressure to "get that job." I know I should probably pick up a book on programming in C++ or C# (despite being a painfully slow and easily frustrated programmer), but I'm just, well, I guess you can say I'm befuddled.

Aside from trying to get hired, my other course of action is considering graduate school though responses from them are outright rejection.

I have no idea what to do next, can any of you experienced guys (gender neutral context) give me advice on what's a good next step?

Advertisement

I have no idea what to do next, can any of you experienced guys (gender neutral context) give me advice on what's a good next step?

I have some ideas:

1. Ask your professors at that school you're nearing graduation from.

2. Read the Breaking In forum FAQs (your post was moved from the technical forums to the Breaking In forum, since your topic fits better here).

The link can be found at
http://www.gamedev.net/forum/101-breaking-into-the-industry/

The link sends you to
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

3. Start networking. Meet other industry aspirants, and game industry pros. Join the local IGDA chapter, read Gamasutra, subscribe to GamesIndustry.biz

4. Make a decision grid about your options

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement