🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Big Problem :/

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 5 months ago

So... I live in Greece as an immigrant for 14 years, and this year I was going to give the final exams to pass to the university. My aim was to go to a Computer Science University. But due to economic problems me and my family are forced to go back to our country Albania.

The problem is that propably I wont be able to go to university there because I cant pass the exams. (dont know Albanian good enough)

So my main question is... Is it worth it to go to a Private University? and take a BS. Computer Science? or is it better just to study alone... Is the bs degree essential to find a job?

One more question: Whats the difference of a computer science and computer engineering degree?

Is there something you would recommend me to do?

Thanks in Advance

Failure is not an option...

Advertisement

So... I live in Greece as an immigrant for 14 years, and this year I was going to give the final exams to pass to the university. My aim was to go to a Computer Science University. But due to economic problems me and my family are forced to go back to our country Albania.

So my main question is... Is it worth it to go to a Private University?

I know a dude in Albania. He told me a lot of things about the people living in Greece. It was my impression they took nationality... a bit too seriously, I'm surprised you take it so easily.

BTW, if your family is moving back because of financial issues, maybe uni in Albania is super-cheap but.. how are they going to afford it?

Is the bs degree essential to find a job?

No, but it's the easier or at least most common way to show you can commit to something long-term.

One more question: Whats the difference of a computer science and computer engineering degree?

Depends on the University. Here where I live
  • Computer engineering is related to electronics. Often communications as well. Low level stuff. Chip design.
  • "Computer science engineering" (I cannot quite translate it). Learn how to design products. Implementing them is then considered "not worth your time". Yet it's very practical.
  • Computer science. Spend your time learning about computability, FP representations, algorithmic complexity and other theorical stuff. Basically math. The university I have attended had a study plan which involved a computer in only 10% of the total score. It is possible to graduate with full score without being able to recognize an USB port.

Is there something you would recommend me to do?

Talk to your parents about the life you're going to be able to afford. Because in this situation, I don't think you can just take for granted you'll be able to get the necessary income to commit at getting a degree.

Previously "Krohm"

Depends on the University. Here where I live
  • Computer engineering is related to electronics. Often communications as well. Low level stuff. Chip design.
  • "Computer science engineering" (I cannot quite translate it). Learn how to design products. Implementing them is then considered "not worth your time". Yet it's very practical.
  • Computer science. Spend your time learning about computability, FP representations, algorithmic complexity and other theorical stuff. Basically math. The university I have attended had a study plan which involved a computer in only 10% of the total score. It is possible to graduate with full score without being able to recognize an USB port.

Over here, 'Computer Engineering' is renamed to 'Electrical Engineering', and 'Computer Science Engineering' is renamed to 'Software Engineering'.

There is however fairly significant overlap between the three topics - all of the above have to learn some degree of programming, software design, algorithm design and circuit design. It's mostly a matter of how much of each.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

In my university we had to choose an area to focus during the computer science's program last year: software engineering, computational math or network & security.

On the other hand, as swiftcoder mentioned too, computer engineering is a lot like electrical engineering here in Brazil.

Thank you for the answers!

Well there is a chance for me to get into the State University....

Just checked the Polytechnic Univesity of Tirana

Here are the choices:.

• BACHELOR in Electronic Engineering
  • BACHELOR in Computer Engineering
  • BACHELOR in Telecommunication Engineering

There is no computer science :/

You can leverage the CE degree into game programming for computers and consoles.

You can leverage the TE degree into game programming for mobile devices.

Just get the degree, then teach yourself the rest of what you want to know.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Is there a way to see how much value will this bachelor have? Is there much difference between a bachelor degree from Albania than in Germany or Greece for example?

Are all bachelors of the same value in every country?

Nobody cares where you got your degree, as long as it's a valid degree.

Perhaps it would help if you read some of the FAQs. http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement