🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Completely new. What do I do? Where can I start?

Started by
1 comment, last by SimonForsman 12 years ago
So I've always wanted to work in the video game industry, but I have no clue what jobs there are. I'm 15 years old and have no experience with programming at all. I just have a couple questions:

1. What different kinds of jobs are there in the industry? I'm trying programming and I have good experience with photoshop.

2. I plan on majoring in computer science once i get into college, can that be applied to other jobs as well if I can't make it?

3. If I tried becoming an indie dev, how much would software cost?

4. How big is programming in the industry?

I'm sorry if I sound a little out there, I just don't know where to start, any help would be greatful! biggrin.png
Advertisement

1. What different kinds of jobs are there in the industry?
2. I plan on majoring in computer science once i get into college, can that be applied to other jobs as well if I can't make it?
3. If I tried becoming an indie dev, how much would software cost?
4. How big is programming in the industry?

1. Read FAQ 7. Back out to the forum main page, and look for the FAQ link at upper right. There are other articles that are sure to answer lots of questions you haven't asked yet.
2. Yes.
3. Not much, if you choose cheap or free software. This question does not belong here in the Breaking In forum. Ask it in For Beginners instead.
4. Very. Programming is key. Programming is everything.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1) Lots of different jobs, on the production end you got programmers and various types of artists, (concept artists, 3d modellers, animators, composers, voice actors, regular actors, etc, etc, etc) and ofcourse mangement, (allthough managers tend to be recruited from the production teams), then you got quality assurance, marketing, etc aswell.

2) Yes, a CS degree is valuable for pretty much any programming related job.

3) it depends on what software you want, you can do everything with free software if you wish allthough the more expensive applications tend to provide a fairly solid productivity boost which pays off in the long run.

4) you can't make software without it so it is fairly big, for AAA games however you tend to need far more artists than programmers. (The main thing that separates AAA games from indie or hobbyist titles is the art budget)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement