🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to start if I want to be a game (AI & 3D) programmer?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 12 years, 1 month ago
This question might have been asked a lot of times earlier too, but after an intensive Google search I landed in a no-man's-land. So I am here to ask this.
I have a great interest in programming with C++ and I have even made a lot of university projects in C++. But now I want to start as an indie game developer but I don't know where to start. A lot of questions are arising in my mind and few of which are - Should I learn graphics API's first like OpenGL or Direct3D or should I start with some game programming book which covers both? Or rather I should start with a Game Engine like unity? (I don't want to be a game designer though)
Please provide me your suggestions or links to guides, tuts or whatever reference is available in this regard. My main target is to create games for PC's.
Advertisement
Yeah, it's a common enough question, so I put together this comprehensive guide.

Remember, you can't just ahead until you learn the basics, so start there.
Moving to Breaking In forum.

Priyank, please read the Breaking In Forum FAQs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement