🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Help...Over Here.... PLZ

Started by
7 comments, last by Duxa 22 years, 8 months ago
I want tomake a Game like Daiblo or Everquest!!I know that I need tons of time and patience!!! I got it all (I think) but hte problem is I dunno where to start and what to use... I already have an idea of what it is gonna be like and what it is gonna have!!! I jsut need to know what to use and where to get software to create it!!! THX alot
Tryin to make an RPG game like Diablo II and Everquest combined!! with tons new features!!!
Advertisement
Im OK with C++ I got Visual C++97 from Microsoft!!! Is that enough to make a game??? Someone point me in right direction.. like how to make a plain field or someithing oe a character??? or even a menu!!!??
Slow your roll and head over to the forum labeled "For Beginners." Also look to the upper part of your screen and click on the link "Start Here." It''s a long and arduous journey, and you won''t create anything near that level for a long while, but if you''re patient and persistent you''ll create that and many more wonderful programs and "proglets."

Take a deep breath and dive in. it''s a lot of frustration and near-misses with madness, but it''s endlessly fascinating and fun! So remember that: have fun!

Welcome aboard.
Holy Jesus, you really need to chill out. Making a "plain field" involves a lot of math and understanding. Do you want a 2d or a 3d game? Diablo is 2d, Everquest is 3d... it helps to know how many dimensions your game is going to have before you start. If 3d-graphics strikes your fancy, I''d reccomend going with Black Art of 3d Game Programming by LaMothe and some sort of DirectX book (they''re all pretty decent, I haven''t read a bad one yet), for 2d stuff, go with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus or something of that nature. I really like LaMothe''s teaching style, so I probably have biased point of view when it comes to books. You also have to decide how you''ll want to render your "plain". Via voxels perhaps? Or polygons? Or maybe ellipsoids? Or just plain isometric tiles? You see there is a lot to think about and research before you dive head-long into creating a high quality game. And whatever you do, don''t make the mistake I did and try to reinvent the circle. People post their discoveries for a reason, take advantage of that and expand upon it. Good luck, you''re going to need it, badly...
Cheers,
Jesse

The sun is gone, but I have a light,
The day is done, but I''m havin'' fun,
I think I''m dumb... maybe just happy...
-Kurt
for help in learning the basics check this page...

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Edited by - blackbot20 on October 7, 2001 1:41:54 PM
When I posted that link in his other copy of this thread he replied with "That didn''t help!!" hopefully he gets the point this time .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Not likely; he said books like C++ For Dummies had a lot of stuff he didn''t need and that he just wanted someone to "teach" him how to make a map editor. *sigh*
That For Beginers thing is useless!!! I already know how to program. Just tell where it says how to make a game!!!
A game is a program. Go figure.

Look in the Articles & Resources section. You''ll find a ton of stuff in there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement