🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it to late?

Started by
14 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 3 months ago
I'm not sure if that's what you were asking
No, but thank you anyway.

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
I recently graduated with a software degree and I'm 29 :D I got a job 1 month before I graduated, and my starting pay was higher than some of the younger students.

There was also a guy on my course who was 40 years old! He got a job just before he graduated too :)

Being mature is often seen as a good thing, not a bad thing.

If you want to do it, then go for it. Don't listen to the naysayers.
Have in mind that, when game developers say that it's damn hard to break into the industry, they're talking about the Top Gaming Industry (like a top developer such as Blizzard, Bioware, Valve, etc) and not the general programming industry (which is almost effortless to get into at ANY age (within reason), if you actually know what you're doing). Or even the general gaming industry, for that matter.

Additionally, there's a lot of smart moves that a mature person can and will do that a younger graduate is often completely oblivious to. Like, I'm pretty sure that most younger people haven't played over 350 games in their lives, starting from Commodore 64. So I know that's one of MY strengths (in terms of knowing the history and what has already been done in the past - which greatly fuels my creativity).

Jonathan Blow is another (much better than noobish DrMadolite) example of someone with the maturity and brainpower to design games with incredible depth, again something that is typically non-existent with younger people. Suddenly Braid was born, one of the 10 best indie games ever designed.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

I was wondering about your background in this industry DrMadolite? If I may ask of course.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

I was wondering about your background in this industry DrMadolite? If I may ask of course.

I don't have any background other than research. wink.png

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

I guess we're wandering off-topic, so I guess this can close now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement