🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UI Programmer Resume

Started by
3 comments, last by BethioMoo 12 years, 3 months ago
I had a resume and revised it about a year ago when I graduated and got my BS in Computer Science. It got me my first game industry job, but now that I've had a job I'm not sure what all I should put on my resume. Do I include my education, courses, volunteer time, or team work experience? I've read a lot of the other forum posts that have to do with resume critiques and I made some changes, but I'm still not sure it's what it should be. I've attached the original (that got me a job a year ago) and what I've made it into today.

Also, how does LinkedIn work in the game industry? Does it play a big part? I doubt I should just use my LinkedIn as my resume (even though it includes all the same information).

Thank you for any help in advance!
~Bethany
Advertisement

1. now that I've had a job I'm not sure what all I should put on my resume. Do I include my education, courses, volunteer time, or team work experience?
2. Also, how does LinkedIn work in the game industry?
3. Does it play a big part?
4. I doubt I should just use my LinkedIn as my resume (even though it includes all the same information).

1. That depends. (i) How long were you working at your job? (ii) How many pages is your resume now?
i. The longer you were at that job, the less your college courses matter.
ii. Your resume should not exceed 2 pages; it should at least fill 1 page.

2. People use it to connect to other people (former coworkers, past and potential clients, partners, employers, employees).

3. That depends on the individual. Some people use it more and get more of an effect from it. If you don't use it much, you don't get much of an effect from it.

4. You lost me there. I don't know what you're thinking, what you mean. Of course you should have your resume on LinkedIn, and it should be up to date, and you should refer to it. But you should also have your own portfolio site. It's pretty much required these days.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. I've been there almost a year. It was just over a page on the original and exactly a page after my revisions.

4. I just mean that I should also have a resume. I shouldn't just send my linkedIn link instead of a resume since it lists all the same information (experience, school, courses, honors, skills, etc). I'm pretty sure that just sounds ridiculous, though it seems like some day that might be how it goes. For example, one game company I looked at said to contact them via LinkedIn for a faster reply. I was just wondering if I should only do that for companies who suggest to do that and do the traditional resume for all others.
1. You've been in the industry less than a year? Then list all your college stuff. You're not fully cooked yet.

4. Every company does things differently.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement