🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

University for getting into the industry(Canada)

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 6 months ago
First off, I just want to say I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, please tell me if it is, it just sounded like the best place to put it.

I want would to become a game programmer as a career choice. I'm in grade 11 right now and an thinking where I should go to school. I live in Canada and have a few universities I can go to. I can live in either British Columbia or Manitoba. My first choice would be University of Toronto, but I won't be able to live there. I was thinking one of these(But I'm open to suggestions) University of Manitoba, University of Winnipeg, UBC or BCIT(I know it's not a university, but I was thinking it might be a good option).

Which one of these places would help me get into the industry of game design the most? I am aware I will probably have to take jobs in other programming fields before moving into game development. I would just like some help in making this decision

Jesse
Advertisement
For "game design" you can go to ANY university and study whatever you enjoy the most. See FAQ 3 (back out to the Breaking In forum, look in Getting Started).
But if you want to program games, get a Computer Science degree at any university that offers one. Read the FAQs on that too.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

I am aware I will probably have to take jobs in other programming fields before moving into game development[/quote]

[/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

Um, no. You won't have to do that. You can go straight into games, if you play your cards right.

[/font]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks! Didn't even notice there was a FAQs. One question, is there a difference between obtaining a degree from a college or university?
In the UK there is. In the UK "college" is a totally different thing from "university."
But to restate what I said before, in a North American way: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

if you want to program games, get a four-year Computer Science degree at any university or college that offers one.

[/font]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement