🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writing for Games

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 6 months ago
I have been writing stories for years. Some are complete some are not. But there are at least 7 out of a total of 30 or so that I would like to have seen turned into games. I have the story arc and characters laid out. Character is important to me so I always make sure they are as real as possible. I feel one of my stories, which is adventure/fantasy, could have a huge influence in the gaming community. There is a lot I don't know about the gaming world, but I do read up on it enough to know that it's no walk in the park. I know most would like to see a degree of some sort from potential employees, so what am I supposed to do? I don't have a degree, but would love to market myself to game companies even if they are independent. Any advice on how to start?
Advertisement
This belongs in either Breaking In or Writing.
Since the question at the end is about how to get work (not about how to write), I'm moving it to Breaking In.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. I know most would like to see a degree of some sort from potential employees, so what am I supposed to do? I don't have a degree,
2. but would love to market myself to game companies even if they are independent.
3. Any advice on how to start?

1. Then build a body of published work. Collect the reviews of your work.

2. That's a good idea. You could offer your services for free to amateur developers. Start with GameDev's Classifieds.

3. Read FAQ 32 and FAQ 54. Go back out to this forum, and click the FAQs link in Getting Started at upper right.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement