🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Website/Resume Critique

Started by
0 comments, last by Ravyne 12 years, 6 months ago
Hey all,

I'm going to be graduating in the summer so I spent a good amount of time creating a portfolio website and fine tuning my resume. I was just looking for a little bit of constructive criticism and feedback on things I should change. I tried to keep the website bare bones with as little flash as possible to avoid distracting from its purpose. I don't know if it works. Perhaps adding a blog section and writing articles would be a good idea for the future.

Here's the website, the resume is linked in the upper left corner.
www.Nick-Gomes.com

In addition to the critique I have a question concerning possibly re-locating to California. Is it plausible to do with a limited budget? Will companies in California be open to applications sent by someone from NY? It might be easier to get a little money working here in NY but I'm afraid I'd get too comfortable or settled in and hesitate moving.

Thanks for you time!
Advertisement
Seems like a decent effort over-all.

A couple small points:

On the web site, for each project, remove prose about what you did and leave it as a project summary/intro. Instead, summaries your duties/activites for each project in bullet points beginning with a verb (as you did in your resume). If you'd like to add more detail about particular projects, consider doing so in a separate page as a small post-mortem (including both what went right, and what went wrong -- and what you've learned from it).

On the resume package, I wouldn't necessarily include references in the same document (though you might have done this for the sake of simplicity in this post) -- Make them separate docs. If a job listing asks for references, send them in separate documents. If they don't ask up front, don't send them until they ask. You can optionally add "References available upon request" or some-such to your resume, but its not strictly necessary.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement