🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game or modification?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 6 months ago
I really need advice here. I am seeking to 'break into the gaming industry' at some later date. Next year I will be going to UAT in Arizona for a Game Programming Bachelors Degree (of science). Though supposedly an internship of some kind is included in the curriculum some work to show is always a plus.

So here is the question:
I have a well fleshed out game idea (don't we all) that not only I know I can accomplish but I have started programming and making good progress on (some 20% done). I have recently realized with some minor alterations to the mechanics to make the game more user friendly that this game would work extremely well as a modification for the game Minecraft. Virtually everything in the game can be 'relatively' easily transferred into the context of Minecraft, in other words nothing is lost by making the game a modification.
So am I better off creating the stand alone game? Or creating the 'mod'?

Can I get the same amount of attention with a modification for an already existing game as for a complete stand alone game?

Is it worth trading the time it would take for me to learn how to create modifications for Minecraft for an engine and graphics that I probably couldn't do on my own (my ability to program and draw good graphics is extremely limited)?

Would it be feasible to create the mod first (being easier for one person alone) and then, with a group of talented people, make the game at a later date resulting in it hopefully being a more complete and impressive product?

Thank you for any and all advice,
Munchkin9
Advertisement
1. Can I get the same amount of attention with a modification for an already existing game as for a complete stand alone game?
2. Is it worth trading the time it would take for me to learn how to create modifications for Minecraft for an engine and graphics that I probably couldn't do on my own
3. Would it be feasible to create the mod first (being easier for one person alone) and then, with a group of talented people, make the game at a later date resulting in it hopefully being a more complete and impressive product?

1. Yes. But you need more than one game or demo in your portfolio.
2. "Worth" is subjective. Only you can determine whether or not something is "worth it" to YOU. A decision grid would probably help you determine worth.
3. Sure.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement