🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

If you could provide some wise words...

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 8 months ago
Just like a lot of people I am attempting to start a career in video game art and I'm a little lost as to how to get there. I have a portfolio and I was wondering if I could get some critique.
The link is http://www.wix.com/ashleywaldorf/portfolio
My style isn't anything resembling the talent you'd see in a game like Assassin's Creed, but with games like Animal Crossing and the like I am sure that there is definitely a place for me somewhere.
Advertisement
Hi Ashley!
I just spent sometime reading your website for a while. I guess your so eager in breaking into the gaming industry.
I see you have a lot of talent in Game art. I liked all the art in your portfolio. I see your fascinated in Anime designing eh? Well for now try to keep it simple. Make all the designs you could and Gamedev.net forums can be really helpful, Ask someone if they want you to join their team. There are millions wandering around for great artists like you!. Just dont lose hope. Probably save sometime and join a small gaming company near your locality or just help a team with art designing.
Good luck!
Ashley,
Your portfolio needs a lot more work. You need to remove the sketches and only include polished work. Remove all questionable pieces.
And you need a focus. Are you a character artist or an environment artist or a graphic designer -- can't tell from what your portfolio includes.
Keep working on it, keep honing your craft, and only put your very best pieces in your portfolio.
Good luck,

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you so much for the feedback, both of you! I am definitely best at character design, though I had heard that companies like to hire well rounded individuals so I have been trying to work on environments. Would you suggest I leave them out entirely? I am currently taking a class in realism, should I also leave out that work if it doesn't pertain to game design? Or is the "everything else" category appropriate to include?
You can have some "other" pieces in addition to your focus. The largest number of pieces should be in your area of focus. And they should be professional, commercial, quality.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement