🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

about difficulty level, DOS VS WIN.

Started by
3 comments, last by Paladin 24 years, 5 months ago
I have been working with project DUST (hm, lately actually I HAVEN''T been working on it, but I would like to continue on it and it was created mostly with Allegro. Original idea was to make it DOS / LINUX game, because my friend is currently programming it for Linux. About two months ago I started to ask is there way to scrolling engine fast enough with 640x480x16bit graphics for Allegro, and the answer was "uh,rr..mm... nooo, it''s too hard". Next step was to start creating engine with hardware acceleration, "Lets throw OPENGL for it " . Now, after a while, I have been wondering that could I actually make Windows port of the game, and how hard is it going to be ? I really don''t know much about Direct-X programming... except what I learned from Andrew Lamothes new book. I''m wondering that how hard is this Immedieta (hmm. how do you spell it ? mode compared to Allegro library WHEN you I''m working only with 2D-routines ? Can actually mostly just replace OPENGL functions with DX functions, and how big job is this ? SHOULD I stop programming for DOS and change for Windows, and how hard is this change going to be AFTER I don''t have any experience about Windows programming ? ... Yap... You tell me :D

Advertisement
I used to program with djgpp and allegro and I can agree with you: it is really easy.

I did write a 640x480x16 scrolling engine and it was really fast.

I decided to move on to windows and dx, because nobody wants games for dos, and windows programming and directx is kindof cool.
It really isn''t hard to learn win32 and directx programming. I spent a few weeks here on this site and bought Andre''s new book.

So now I''m working on creating the same scrolling engine in windows and it is a bit harder, but it''s worth it! =)
Hi,
when you already have your game working, then it''s not hard to convert it to windows, because the only stuff you''ve got to change is the message loop, the 2d-engine and stuff like this.

If you have read and understood Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, you should have enough knowledge to write a 2d-DirectDraw-engine for your game. It''s not that hard. If you already have the OpenGL engine, why do you want to create a second engine using DirectX ? The advantage with OpenGL is, that it works on Linux and Windows, so you normally wouldn''t have to use DirectX and the driver support for OpenGL is now ok.

CU

Skullpture Entertainment
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Just a note, there is a port for Windows of Allegro! (WinAllegro) And yes, it uses DirectX, not Direct3D though.
WinAllegro has been dropped, and the next version of Allegro is intended to be cross-platform Win32/DOS/Linux/Beos. I suspect there may be life in the old beast, yet, although it desperately needs to accelerate its polygon functions.

Official Allegro page:
http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

V4 isn''t out yet, but the early release is on the work in progress page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement