🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jobs that make your Resume look good?

Started by
12 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years ago
still though, Gamestop is not the way to game development.

Nobody ever said it was. Surely you don't deny that a job on the resume looks better than no job on the resume.
People need money to pay expenses. Before being ready to take a game job, it's not at all unusual for students to take non-game jobs. And that's perfectly fine.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

[quote name='Joe P' timestamp='1311878289' post='4841767']still though, Gamestop is not the way to game development.

Nobody ever said it was. Surely you don't deny that a job on the resume looks better than no job on the resume.
People need money to pay expenses. Before being ready to take a game job, it's not at all unusual for students to take non-game jobs. And that's perfectly fine.
[/quote]

Of course I understand that. The original question was what sort of jobs will make a resume look good. He then said he wants to have a job in the game industry. Obviously ANY job is better than nothing. He didnt need to come here to be told he should get A job, he gets that part I would hope:) It seems like he was picking jobs that he thought would look good for a game development resume, hence Gamestop. In response to that, I just said that Gamestop will not give any real advantage over any other retail job, because the skills needed to work at gamestop arent related to the field in any way at all, other than the word GAME being in the title.He wasnt asking if he should get a job, of course if the decision is between nothing and gamestop, you choose gamestop... but thats not the issue here.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

[quote name='dfighter' timestamp='1311832264' post='4841454']
why would anyone hire someone with no experience?

Because inexperience is cheap.
[/quote]
In my country if you are not some family member of the boss or you don't have 3 years experience you have no chance at all to get a programming job, but then I guess it's different in other countries.
Guess I was naive it's the same everywhere :P
However still if you don't have experience, you can't really prove that you can even finish something, can't you?
Don't work at gamestop because they are huge dicks to their employees. Most of their stores also smell bad, which means you will probably start smelling bad.

In a perfect world I think having gamestop on a resume would help as much as any retail job, but I've had too many negative experiences with gamestop employees that it would probably detract from the quality of the rest of your resume. Understandably the problems may not apply to you, but I know I get a sour taste in my mouth when I think of talking to someone who works at gamestop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement