🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Resume question: order of projects

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

I have my experience listed in reverse-chronological order all the way through, which absolutely makes sense for ordering the companies I've worked for.

I have a question about ordering the projects *within* one employer.

It definitely seems like I want to keep the most relevant recent stuff at the top, that's how I have it ordered now, however I thought that when some of the items include extending/improving work I've done in previous projects, it looks like this:

Company 1
- Project 1: 2010-2011
- Improved system C in these ways: G H I
- Project 0: 2009-2010
- Implemented from scratch system C
Company 0

Does that seem fine? It's how I've been doing it but I just thought that if someone was reading top-down, things would be out of order. I do include the years, but unsure if anyone pays attention. Do people typically order it this way, so people tend to go bottom-up within one employer? Or does it not even really matter?
Advertisement
No, don't do that. If you had 3 employers and 3 projects with each one, and you went on like you show above, your resume would be ridiculously wordy. We're more interested in your accomplishments and growth at that employer, so we can see if you'd be a good fit with our team. Tell us your best stuff, your strong points. Don't bore us with every tool you made and what you had for lunch every day.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have my experience listed in reverse-chronological order all the way through, which absolutely makes sense for ordering the companies I've worked for.

I have a question about ordering the projects *within* one employer.
Do people typically order it this way, so people tend to go bottom-up within one employer? Or does it not even really matter?

EVERYTHING should be reverse-chronological unless you have a very compelling reason to reorder it.

If you need to ask, then it is not a compelling reason. I did not see any compelling reasons in your post.

Even if you are sure that it is a compelling reason to be out of order, it is still probably a bad idea.

There are very few reasons I can think of to switch the ordering. I would only do it for something that is not just a pinnacle of your own career, but for a pinnacle beyond everyone else's career as well. For example, if you were Will Wright you could reasonably choose to put "The Sims" above "Spore", even though it isn't chronological. If you were Bill Gates you could probably choose to put the former job as CEO of Microsoft as the pinnacle rather than the part-time job he created so he can stay on the books. If you were Jeff Bezos you could probably put Amazon and the Time "Person of the Year" more prominently than his Blue Origin work. If you were a former President of the United States, you could probably put your presidency more prominently than the books written since.

Even for those extremely prominent people with incredibly huge career highlight items, they would still put the details in reverse chronological order.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement