🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using game project for resume?

Started by
8 comments, last by alnite 12 years, 12 months ago
Hey I'm a recent grad who graduated with a low GPA of 2.30 from an average university. I have no previous IT job/intern experience. I know that to get a job I would have to make a couple of projects to show off to employers. Right now I'm thinking of making a huge game project using DirectX. Is this a good idea? Do you guys think that I can use a game project to get a non game related programming job?
Advertisement
Everything except the word "huge" makes good sense, IMHO.
Don't bite off more than you can chew.

One small, very fun, very well-polished demo is worth more than one huge, craptacular demo. Three small, highly polished demos will infinitely trump one huge, craptacular demo.

In other words, do it small, do it right. Nobody will be impressed by your "huge" game project if you utterly fail to complete it, but smaller, more attainable projects have a much better chance of leading you down a road of success. Moreover, nobody will play your "huge" game if they are thinking about offering you a job; when employers look for candidates, especially entry-level ones, they need to see something they can make a snap decision on in a few minutes. If your game is so big it takes hours or days to see all of it, 99% of the employers out there will never know the difference.

So make something small, something you can show in a few minutes or less, and make it really kick ass. Then do it again.

Also, I'm moving this to the Breaking In forum as it isn't really programming related.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

1. I'm thinking of making a huge game project using DirectX. Is this a good idea?
2. Do you guys think that I can use a game project to get a non game related programming job?

1. Probably not, for reasons stated above.
2. Sure.

H-Chan, you now have two threads here in Breaking In. Which one do you want left open? I'll close the other.
(Note: please do not delete any of your old posts yourself, we don't like that.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Right now I'm thinking of making a huge game project using DirectX. Is this a good idea?

Do you get any help from anybody? If no, that's a bad idea. You must first get the DirectX working, then you still have to build your game on top of it. Don't underestimate the scope of a small game project. No matter how small it is, it's still a lot of work. If you are alone, create a small game.

Do you guys think that I can use a game project to get a non game related programming job?
[/quote]
No. Non-game companies have difficulties understanding how much work it involves to finish a game, and I am speaking this from experience of moving from game industry to non-game tech industry. Here's the difference.

Game companies typically look for a couple of these qualities in their candidates:
  • Passion for games
  • Have a couple of games under the belt.
  • Creativity / Intelligence Non-game companies will look for these qualities:
    • X years of experience working on a technology (for example: 5 years of experience working on Javascript/SQL/PHP/Ruby/HTML/Spring/J2EE) As you can see they are looking for two different qualities. One is the passion (experience is a plus), the other is the experience (passion is not necessary). So choose your field and work toward that.

[quote name='hchan4155' timestamp='1310082760' post='4832586']
1. I'm thinking of making a huge game project using DirectX. Is this a good idea?
2. Do you guys think that I can use a game project to get a non game related programming job?

1. Probably not, for reasons stated above.
2. Sure.

H-Chan, you now have two threads here in Breaking In. Which one do you want left open? I'll close the other.
(Note: please do not delete any of your old posts yourself, we don't like that.)
[/quote]

Delete the other one

[quote name='hchan4155' timestamp='1310082760' post='4832586']
Right now I'm thinking of making a huge game project using DirectX. Is this a good idea?

Do you get any help from anybody? If no, that's a bad idea. You must first get the DirectX working, then you still have to build your game on top of it. Don't underestimate the scope of a small game project. No matter how small it is, it's still a lot of work. If you are alone, create a small game.

Do you guys think that I can use a game project to get a non game related programming job?
[/quote]
No. Non-game companies have difficulties understanding how much work it involves to finish a game, and I am speaking this from experience of moving from game industry to non-game tech industry. Here's the difference.

Game companies typically look for a couple of these qualities in their candidates:
  • Passion for games
  • Have a couple of games under the belt.
  • Creativity / Intelligence Non-game companies will look for these qualities:
    • X years of experience working on a technology (for example: 5 years of experience working on Javascript/SQL/PHP/Ruby/HTML/Spring/J2EE) As you can see they are looking for two different qualities. One is the passion (experience is a plus), the other is the experience (passion is not necessary). So choose your field and work toward that.
      [/quote]

Thanks for everyones replies.
      OK, so I plan on making this game using Directx which involves a lot of C++ coding. Lets say the employer (non gaming related industry) is looking for a strong C++ coder. You don't think I can showoff my Directx game to this employer to demonstrate my strong C++ programming skills?

You don't think I can showoff my Directx game to this employer to demonstrate my strong C++ programming skills?

I see some problems there. First, as someone mentioned already, they may not have any clue how much work it involves and figure all it takes is "downloaded_game_engine.do_fancy_physics_and_cool_graphics()".

Also, just because someone is using DX and C++ doesn't show strong skills. Someone could write godawful code and still get the job done eventually. Telling how strong your skills really are require looking at the code and a "huge" game will not have the kind of source code anybody wants to look at for hours to get an impression of your skill level.

Plus, the complexity tends to result in shortcuts and quick workarounds to get things done. As a result, the code won't be as clean and neat as you would probably like in a "show off" project.

Then of course the obvious question: how many small and simple games did you write so far? What kind of "huge" game are you thinking of? Are you absolutely sure you don't radically underestimate the work and know how that goes into even a medium sized game (just like most potential employers will likely do)?How many years are you willing to invest into that _one_ project?
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

OK, so I plan on making this game using Directx which involves a lot of C++ coding. Lets say the employer (non gaming related industry) is looking for a strong C++ coder. You don't think I can showoff my Directx game to this employer to demonstrate my strong C++ programming skills?

You can, and depending on how you sell it, they may appreciate it. But in my experience, non-game companies aren't going to be able to relate to the amount of work put into it.

The companies I've worked for have been more interested in how your experience relates to what they are doing. There probably won't be any parallels between your work & their product(s. It seems like to me that they'll be looking at this before they ever peek at your well designed object oriented source code.

Of course, that's only the companies I've worked for. Perhaps you could go to a nearby university career fair and ask someone in person.

Yes, you can, if they are looking for a C++ developer. However, from my experience very few non-game companies would hire strictly C++ developers. If you can find a company that could appreciate that, it's great. It depends on them too, but honestly an HR manager would prefer to talk to somebody with a resume that closely matches their qualifications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement