🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next stop: RIT

Started by
14 comments, last by Cotysaxman 13 years ago
Tom, thank you for the link. I had started reading your site yesterday, but it would have taken some time to get to faq 70 without the suggestion. I will use your method to select my liberal arts minor. My other electives will be spent on advanced game design classes.

To clarify my employment goals...
Next year and the following year I would like to be a small-scale independent developer. The last two years of college require employment in the industry for coop study. I will revert to Indie while I pursue my Masters.
Post-education, I will seek employment with an established firm until I gain enough confidence/contacts to form my own development studio.

So, I'll do what I can in school. Then I'll find a paycheck. Then I'll chase my dream.
Advertisement
I've decided to pursue two minors: philosophy and japanese.

Believe it or not, being in the Marine Corps Infantry actually wipes out 11 credits and some seminars :)

I will pack as many extra Game Design specialty classes as I can...and, yea, take whatever I want, if I want to take anything else.

For anyone curious about the logic in choosing minors...philosophy I chose because it is the art of logic and problem solving, which both apply heavily to programming (and interest me). Japanese was an easier decision. My wife is from Japan. I'm in Japan. My in-laws own a Japanese private school (juku). While it may help in game design, Japanese will help me more with everyday life, and provides a fall back career plan (teaching here in Japan).

1. I've decided to pursue two minors: philosophy and japanese.
2. For anyone curious about the logic in choosing minors...philosophy I chose because
3. Japanese was an easier decision. My wife is from Japan. I'm in Japan.
4. Japanese will help me more with everyday life,
5. and provides a fall back career plan (teaching here in Japan).

1. Nice.
2. I'm not curious. Whatever floats your boat puts wind in my sails too.
3. I guessed that!
4. Absolutely. I just barely got by with my rudimentary Japanese when I was living there.
5. Well, I hear it's pretty low-paying. But better than nothing!
6. If you do go to RIT, you'll likely run into my nephew (I won't name him here, so as to keep him free from bother).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

3. I'm in Wakayama prefecture. Nice place.
4. My mother-in-law teaches English, so I don't speak much Japanese at all, daily.
5. A one-subject teacher here make about 50k, two-subject teacher 70k. Private schools pay much better than public.
6. I'll keep a look out. I'm 100% accepted and enrolled. Is he student (game design?)? or faculty? I've only met Andrew Phelps, the chairman.
3. I'm in Wakayama prefecture. Nice place.
4. My mother-in-law teaches English, so I don't speak much Japanese at all, daily.
5. A one-subject teacher here make about 50k, two-subject teacher 70k. Private schools pay much better than public.
6. I'll keep a look out. I'm 100% accepted and enrolled. Is he student (game design?)? or faculty? I've only met Andrew Phelps, the chairman.

student (game design?)? or faculty?

Student.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

And thus begins the hunt for mini-Sloper. I'll begin by asking everyone vague questions. The first person that tells me to "read FAQ ##" is my suspect. Like a real life "Where's Waldo?"...except his name (probably) isn't Waldo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement