🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Location Location Location workaround?

Started by
17 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 12 months ago
So I just read Tsloper's FAQ #27 "Barrier Busting Checklist".

I feel like most of them I can handle. I often network, I have a college degree, I've been developing my resume, etc.

The one problem for me would be #2. I currently have a job in an online advertising company in nowheresville. I'm about an eight hour drive from the nearest development studio.

I really want to just quit and move to a hotbed of video game job opportunities, but I don't want to lose my current job unless I have one lined up. I really don't want to drive my wife out to Maryland only to not have a job (or have a non-game oriented one).

My hope was to send out applications, fly to interviews, and use some of my savings to move wherever I needed to once I had a job. But then I read the "Barrier Busting Checklist".

So here's my question(s):
1. Is it wrong (and even stupid) to use a friends residence (who lives in a hotbed) on my resume? Even though I don't technically live there, I could be there when necessary.

2. This probably deserves a different post, but when putting together a portfolio, which is better for a junior programmer to do?
  • Create 3 different complete games using DirectX 10, XNA, and Unity3D
  • Create 3 different tech demos showing deeper knowledge of the theory
I appreciate any reasonable answers.

Thank you.
Advertisement
1. Yes. It's wrong. And if you get found out, you'll see that it was also stupid. You can't work around the Location X3 Rule.
2. Classic Two-Choices Question. Read FAQ 52.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. Yes. It's wrong. And if you get found out, you'll see that it was also stupid. You can't work around the Location X3 Rule.
2. Classic Two-Choices Question. Read FAQ 52.

I'm glad I asked. Thank you for your answer.

It's unfortunate though. I've been reading through other forums and It's no guess that my choices boil down to taking a risk or hoping for the best.

Missed the Two-Choices article. Will read now.
my choices boil down to taking a risk or hoping for the best.

Since you know "hoping" is not a plan, logic tells you that's not a choice at all.
Life is all a risk. You risk either a life of regret that you never tried, or "the path less trodden, that might make all the difference" (to bastardize Frost).

While you're revisiting my site, check out what Dr. Laura said about hope in FAQ 47. The beginning of the quote is, "Hope is disappointment postponed."

Every time I think my reply is done, I think of something else.

You sounded hesitant to take a risk. Yet you think an employer should be the one to take the risk. That's backward. It's all on you.

One remote possibility is to create a hit game that makes all the companies sit up and take notice, call you long distance, and offer you a job. But of course first you'd have to create a hit.

And guess what that is.

Another risk.

You sounded hesitant to take a risk. Yet you think an employer should be the one to take the risk. That's backward. It's all on you.

One remote possibility is to create a hit game that makes all the companies sit up and take notice, call you long distance, and offer you a job. But of course first you'd have to create a hit.

And guess what that is.

Another risk.

Well, when you're right, you're right. I've discussed plans with my fiancee, so we will be moving to Austin in December.

Thank you for your advice!

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1309493238' post='4829883']

And guess what that is.

Another risk.

Well, when you're right, you're right. I've discussed plans with my fiancee, so we will be moving to Austin in December.

Thank you for your advice!

[/quote]

Are you living in Maryland now? Depending on which part there are development studios in Maryland that you might be able to apply for. If you check around the Hunty Valley area and in the Bethesda area you should be able to find some studios you could possibly apply at.

Anyway if you've already decided to move to Austin then I wish you the best of luck in finding a job there.
Austin is a great place to live (I lived there for two years before getting laid off). However, some major companies have shut down their Austin locations in the past couple years, leaving the market flooded with hungry experienced developers. I found myself having to move up to Dallas. There are quite a few companies in the Austin area though, so you might luck out and be able to find what you're looking for. I know Tom recommends moving before applying, but I'd definitely get your resume into the hands of as many companies as possible before your actual move.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
[color="#1C2837"][color="#000000"]

[color="#1C2837"][color="#000000"] Are you living in Maryland now? Depending on which part there are development studios in Maryland that you might be able to apply for. If you check around the Hunty Valley area and in the Bethesda area you should be able to find some studios you could possibly apply at.
Anyway if you've already decided to move to Austin then I wish you the best of luck in finding a job there.
[color="#1C2837"]

I'm living in Arkansas now. The main reason why I'd like to move to Maryland is Bethesda Softworks is there. However, there doesn't seem to be that many game studios there & I can't justify moving there for only one game studio. Also, with Austin, I could be a little closer to home. Thank you though!

Austin is a great place to live (I lived there for two years before getting laid off). However, some major companies have shut down their Austin locations in the past couple years, leaving the market flooded with hungry experienced developers. I found myself having to move up to Dallas. There are quite a few companies in the Austin area though, so you might luck out and be able to find what you're looking for. I know Tom recommends moving before applying, but I'd definitely get your resume into the hands of as many companies as possible before your actual move.

That's not what I wanted to hear. unsure.gif I was planning on sending out around 200-300 resumes before I move to Austin, so maybe I can get something. Either way, if Austin doesn't work out, I'll can always try San Francisco when I get some money saved. I appreciate the help!
I was planning on sending out around 200-300 resumes before I move to Austin

There aren't that many companies in Austin. It makes no sense whatsoever to send resumes to Maryland and New York and Florida and Washington and Oregon just before moving to Texas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement