🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What to do?

Started by
6 comments, last by broady 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello,
my life in short:
- i am 28
- i have Master’s Degree in Computer Science and Control Systems Engineering
- i work from 2 years in a SW house not involved in Game dev

I am a c++/c# developer and dba. I have good network experience too. Can i upload my resume so you can have a quick idea? My sw house is now too small for me and i feel there is no much left to learn.

I'd like to join game dev world.

Question 1: when i apply should i apply for junio/entry lvl positions? I'd say yes since my "game dev" expereince is near to zero. On the other side you dont feel so junior after 2 year of professional life.

Question 2: I dont enjoy so much beeing a coder 24h/24h, might be a good idea to get some 1/year course about 3d design (maya, 3DS etc..) to expand my views?( I like jobs where you have to deal with more stuffs, problem solving and troubleshooting)

My portfolio is quite small: my main project is a c++/OpenGL (with a lot of math) application to animate in real time 2d images (say puppets). It's quite impressive. I really need to make a short presentation/demo movie of it.
Now since i work it's not so easy to find time to develop other projects so

Question 3: a course (say a 6 months/1 year) is a valid way add good stuff to the portfolio.

Thanks GD people
Advertisement
Broady,
1. Yes, since your 2 years of professional life were not spent in games.
2. Bad thinking. You need a breaking in plan. If you're a good enough programmer to break in through programming, and if you can imagine enjoying programming games in a creative environment for 4 years or more before MAYBE getting promoted to a different specialty, then break in through programming. Otherwise, come up with a different plan.
3. A course would teach you new stuff, right? But coursework usually doesn't make a good portfolio piece, because you made it while learning the necessary skills (not after having mastered them).

You should read this forum's FAQs.
And you should change your photo -- the weird facial expression makes you look like some kind of weirdo! :D

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hey Tom thank you for your reply

Broady,
1. Yes, since your 2 years of professional life were not spent in games.

Clear.

2. Bad thinking. You need a breaking in plan. If you're a good enough programmer to break in through programming, and if you can imagine enjoying programming games in a creative environment for 4 years or more before MAYBE getting promoted to a different specialty, then break in through programming. Otherwise, come up with a different plan.

Sincerelly i dont khnow if i am good enough... might be kind of. But i think u have to be good enough to THEIR eyes. The only way i see to show you are good is having a good demo/portfolio... do you agree?

3. A course would teach you new stuff, right? But coursework usually doesn't make a good portfolio piece, because you made it while learning the necessary skills (not after having mastered them).

Yesteardy i have been at the course presentation and my first question was: "But whats about the output portfolio?". The answer was in line with your words: "The valid (and real valid since i saw 'em) and portfolio work is the final work with the teacher's support; works during the year are aimed to learn skills for the last work so wont be so presentable". Even if i have to admit the impression was really good, a student of the last year was hired by the biggest italian swhouse. And the teacher was continuosly speaking about game titles and how the course relates to them.

And you should change your photo -- the weird facial expression makes you look like some kind of weirdo! :D

I agree :D

2. Of course a good portfolio is essential. Read the FAQs (above).
3. You will always hear about someone who managed despite the usual advice. You can't plan to be an exception to the rules.

"Sincerelly i dont khnow if i am good enough... might be kind of. "

Anywhere at any job, you cannot attempt anything with that attitude. You are the king, the Aplha nad Omega of programming. You are just too cultural and don't spew your glamour about. Confidence and self-esteem is like half the success of geting anywhere. Even if you don't meet someone's demands, you might impress them otherwise by being an adult, unafraid person who knows where his feet stand. Personal experience speaks here :)

Yes, I know you cannot count on this more than on raw education, portfolio etc. -- but you can try, regardless of having those things or not. The world won't shun you and employers won't mail to eachother "Watch out for that X dude, he doesn't have a degree or any games made!".
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
Hi i was starting a new thread but i think it's better to continue this one so you can have a better overview.

Would be great if you can check my online portfolio. It's all under construction and there is not much stuff:
- the capability to view and download my resume
- my only work. It's called DeformiT. present the idea, code snips and source/executable download.

1) As soon as possible i wanna embed a short video showing what DeformiT can do. It doesnt make sense to include screenshots for the nature of the app. With this in mind what do you think about this page/work? Can it be interesting for a recruiter? link

2) What do you think about the resume? link Well the main professional experience is my ongoing work and it's not related to games. It's my only real experience so i decided to speak about it in the resume.

Moreover i am starting a 2d project/game with a friend with XNA. Do you think i have to wait to have something to show about this project before starting to send applications. The problem is obviuosly the time: me and my friend both work full time so the time we can spend on this project is very limited (we are still in the study phase). I realize that a project with game components like AI, Pfinding etc can really boost my portfolio...

Moreover: i want (and need) to apply as junior. Do i need to say this in the cover letter? Is it a good idea?
In the cover letter i'd like to focus on:
- i am proficient in c++/c# and have good math khnowledge
- i work in a professional environment so i khnow what it means to work in a group with different roles even if applying for junior role
- i like videogames of course

Thanks everyone.

1 big problem i see: many job offers require you to already be authorized to work in USA, not strange but not my situation :( today i was almost decided to send a mail while 2 lines later i read this requirement. And they accept applyies only with salary requirements? Do i need to specify this even for a junior employment? I don't even khnow how it works in the States.
broady, you wrote:
1. i want (and need) to apply as junior. Do i need to say this in the cover letter?
2. Is it a good idea?
3. 1 big problem i see: many job offers require you to already be authorized to work in USA, not strange but not my situation
4. And they accept applyies only with salary requirements? Do i need to specify this even for a junior employment? I don't even khnow how it works in the States. [/quote]
1. Yes, saying that in the cover email makes sense.
2. We already discussed this before.
3. Then you should not apply for jobs in the USA. Apply for jobs in your own country, or in countries where you are able to get work papers, or find a way to get work papers in the USA. Read FAQ 72 (added today to this forum's FAQs).
4. It doesn't matter what they do in the USA, since you can't get a job there. In my experience, employers always want you to name a figure first, but I try very hard not to name a figure first but rather get them to name a figure first. You can't always win this one.

Hello i attached my resume... can u give an eye? Any suggestion is obviously appreciated :D

ops link

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement