🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Advice on Breaking Into Game Industry

Started by
4 comments, last by timothyjlaird 13 years ago
My apologies...please move this here, I did not see it: http://www.gamedev.net/forum/101-breaking-into-the-games-industry/

I graduated in May with a degree in CIS with the intent of getting a programming job. Truth is, database work bores me to death. I have a very strong interest in graphics and UI design. I've looked at T3D, C4, Shiva 3D and Unity but I want to start with something at a lower level. All the research I've done so far (and I could be wrong of course) indicates that being able to modify game engines and making tools for artists to get their work into the engine is where the money is. To that end, I've done some experimentation with OpenGL (the programmable pipeline). Thus far I've managed to get a handle on VBOs (dumping info straight to the graphics card for anyone who does not know) and am in the process of making unlit cubes dance around the scene using matrixies. OK, story over.

The Question
My problem is that I do not know how to get into the game/graphics industry with a CIS degree (yeah I know I should have gone CS). If anyone could offer some advice on how to go about getting an entry level job in graphics/game development I would really appreciate it. I'm also trying to find a formal or informal game convention that meets somewhere in Texas where I can network and show off my skills. Even a big LAN party would be nice.

Sorry for the long winded post, again, any help would be appreciated.

-John
Advertisement
Just like any job, check out the requirements outlined in the job posting and make sure you meet most of them.

Make sure your C++ is strong. Make sure your knowledge of how software design decisions impact performance is strong. Make sure your linear algebra is strong. Make sure your knowledge of the graphics pipeline and how to use it is strong. Make sure your knowledge of graphics algorithms and techniques is strong.
As you've discovered the "Breaking In" forum with your edited post, you'll also note that forum's FAQ. Please read the linked articles in the FAQ, as they should address your concern fairly well.

You do not require a specific degree, although you correctly point out that a CS degree is generally preferred for programmers. It is not a strict requirement.
Moved.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

1. My problem is that I do not know how to get into the game/graphics industry with a CIS degree (yeah I know I should have gone CS).
2. Sorry for the long winded post

1. You get into the industry the same way as anybody else: build a portfolio and apply without making any of the Stupid Tricks a lot of wannabes make. Read the FAQ.
2. "Long winded" would be more than 5 paragraphs. You must be extremely laconic!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='timothyjlaird' timestamp='1308255469' post='4824212']
1. My problem is that I do not know how to get into the game/graphics industry with a CIS degree (yeah I know I should have gone CS).
2. Sorry for the long winded post

1. You get into the industry the same way as anybody else: build a portfolio and apply without making any of the Stupid Tricks a lot of wannabes make. Read the FAQ.
2. "Long winded" would be more than 5 paragraphs. You must be extremely laconic!
[/quote]
There was a lot of useful information in those FAQs and I'm still reading them. Thanks. Looks like I'll be busy coding a few tools and eventually a simple FPS on the side for a few years. Then I'll pester Timegate if I'm still local.

Laconic (I had to look that up)...perhaps. People who have to deliver a 5 minute story to answer a yes/no question irritate me so maybe that stereotype has some truth in it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement