🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hi gamedev forum i'm looking for a good start

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 1 month ago
i want to get a good start on learning about game development. I've just turned 20, and after the summer vacation i'm starting on software engineering in university.
I'm I on the right track?
Do I need to have more programming knowledge before i look into game programming?

Feza, what is your goal? Are you going to seek a job in the game industry after graduation? Or are you planning to seek another career, and do game programming on the side? (The only reason I ask is to determine whether this thread belongs in For Beginners or should be moved to Breaking In.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

I'll try to be sure to learn more about c# so i don't get stuck in projects because of lacking knowledge of programming.
Does anyone know any good books on c#, i know it's only a google search away, but do you know a good book you would recommend.

I'm not sure... Are you guys saying that its best to learn to build upon existing engines or should i be starting from the ground up?

I just bought some intro books on C# and it's a real dry read. Trying to remember the subject matter and applying it is what I need.

Here's a decent C# intro website with very easy tutorials the examples are very good.

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/csharp/csharp.html

I would recommend working through them BEFORE buying any books.

Cos even C# for Dummies gets technical real quick!
As for now i just want to learn about game programming.
Goals, well i want to make iphone and or android apps(most likely games) with a few friends while studying. Yes i want to find a job in the game industry after i graduate. But as it is for now i my first goal is to be able to build simple xna and or flash games from the ground up.

I'll be looking through the tutorials on that side for sure thanks :)
Yes i want to find a job in the game industry after i graduate.

OK. Moving to Breaking In, then.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement