🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice needed!

Started by
10 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 2 months ago

Ok thanks again for your reply. In the long run is it possible to break into the big time games industry with home learning and practice? Or will these jobs always be for those who have the qualifications from higher education?

First off, i dont really know that much about the game industry. But that question is relevant for a lot of tech industries.

If you have the skills required, I cant see why not. But, and this is a massive but. You say "the long run". Think about it like this, 3d graphics is quite maths intensive. I have completely lost track of how many math courses I done though both pre-university and during university. Its literally years of studying, in a environment where you can bounce off other students, professors etc.

I think the question you should ask is, would it be worth teaching your self it all. Trust me, it will not be faster to self study. You'll have to invest more time, and you will face the same problem any autodidact person does, the first job will be hard to land. Very very hard, until you can write a couple of years experience with a game company on there it should start getting easier.

If i was you, and you are serious about this, I would study.
Advertisement

1. is it possible to break into the big time games industry with home learning and practice?
2. Or will these jobs always be for those who have the qualifications from higher education?

1. Read FAQ 50.
2. Programming candidates with no degree find it very difficult to get a job.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement