🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Recommended Schools

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering if anyone of you here can recommend me any schools that offer an education in game development. I'm personally interested in the fields of level design and game design. It is extremely important that the school would have on campus housing as I don't want to risk being homeless as I can't find a job here so there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find one there and even if I do there's a chance of me losing it.
Advertisement
Exactly what role are you talking about?

Programmers have degrees in computer science. They write software, and learn the principles of software development.

For details about trade schools, read the forum FAQ.

For choosing schools with on-campus housing, read the forum FAQ about making decisions.
Professor, read this forum's FAQs. Link is above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On-campus housing usually isn't free, you know -- regardless of whether you live off-campus, on-campus, or in dormitories, you're going to be paying for it in some way (granted, dorm living is usually cheaper than market-rate housing anywhere else, but not necessarily).

Generally speaking, public universities will provide some form of dormitory arrangements, and in fact, they may be essentially compulsory for the first year or two (if so, you can sometimes make arrangements to be exempt) at some schools. Private schools and trade schools are less likely to provide student housing, but do sometimes have arrangements with nearby housing providers (eg apartment properties) to get students reduced rent rates.)

In any event, I don't think the choice of public or private education, or that of a trade-school ought to have any effect on whether or not you spend any time as a hobo. If this is a realistic concern for you, perhaps there are other circumstances in your life that should be addressed first.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I've been to the FAQ, but I don't see anything leading to exactly what I asked.

Exactly what role are you talking about?

Programmers have degrees in computer science. They write software, and learn the principles of software development.
[/quote]
Well I'm not exactly interested in programming, but if I got to do it to reach my goal then so be it. I'm actually more interested in the artistic side of things, not visual arts, more of writing and design.

On-campus housing usually isn't free, you know -- regardless of whether you live off-campus, on-campus, or in dormitories, you're going to be paying for it in some way [/quote]
Yeah I know, but in those cases of say a state school that has it on campus, wouldn't it be applicable to be paid for under a student loan/financial aid as an apartment you would require to pay rent on a monthly basis?
For a price to quality balance Shawnee State University is a great college. They are about 13-16k a year and have a Game Simulation and Engineering Technologies(programming) and its sister degree Game Simulation and Art Design (Art). It is a great college for the cost and prepares it students well for their futures in the industry. (Many have been or are in the industry at one time)
[color="#1C2837"][quote[color="#1C2837"]]I was wondering if anyone of you here can recommend me any schools that offer an education in game development. I'm personally interested in the fields of level design and game design. It is extremely important that the school would have on campus housing as I don't want to risk being homeless as I can't find a job here so there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find one there and even if I do there's a chance of me losing it.[/quote]

Okay, perhaps that is because your first post was more of a statement of "I was wondering" and not an actual question. I just assumed that they were questions and not simple statements.

Are you certain you scrolled to the top of the page and hit the link that says: [color="#515151"] Breaking In FAQs <-- READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

You read ALL OF THEM, and yet none answered your questions?

The series of FAQs that discuss which degrees you ought to consider for various game development roles does not answer your question about what schools offer degrees that would suit you?
The question about about getting a design-centric degree is not in the FAQ that compares game-specific schools claiming to offer degrees in game design but are actually offer programming trade degrees?
The campus housing questions are not in the FAQ that specifically discusses on-campus housing?
Questions about working during school are not answered in the multiple FAQs that specifically discuss pros and cons of working through school?
Questions about getting a job after school are not covered within no less than 18 different FAQ links about the subject?

That is truly amazing that they did not cover your questions.

Your post that looks an awful lot like the same questions we have seen for many years must be deceptively complex and unique.

When I read over your question, it looks like content that is covered extensively in the various FAQ links.

Please be very specific about your question which is not answered in the forum FAQs. If it really isn't covered in there then many people in the forum would love to answer these new challenging questions.

Go back to the FAQ and read all the education FAQs.

[color="#1c2837"][quote[color="#1c2837"]]I was wondering if anyone of you here can recommend me any schools that offer an education in game development. I'm personally interested in the fields of level design and game design. It is extremely important that the school would have on campus housing as I don't want to risk being homeless as I can't find a job here so there's no guarantee that I'll be able to find one there and even if I do there's a chance of me losing it.

Okay, perhaps that is because your first post was more of a statement of "I was wondering" and not an actual question. I just assumed that they were questions and not simple statements.

Are you certain you scrolled to the top of the page and hit the link that says: [color="#515151"] Breaking In FAQs <-- READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

You read ALL OF THEM, and yet none answered your questions?

The series of FAQs that discuss which degrees you ought to consider for various game development roles does not answer your question about what schools offer degrees that would suit you?
The question about about getting a design-centric degree is not in the FAQ that compares game-specific schools claiming to offer degrees in game design but are actually offer programming trade degrees?
The campus housing questions are not in the FAQ that specifically discusses on-campus housing?
Questions about working during school are not answered in the multiple FAQs that specifically discuss pros and cons of working through school?
Questions about getting a job after school are not covered within no less than 18 different FAQ links about the subject?

That is truly amazing that they did not cover your questions.

Your post that looks an awful lot like the same questions we have seen for many years must be deceptively complex and unique.

When I read over your question, it looks like content that is covered extensively in the various FAQ links.

Please be very specific about your question which is not answered in the forum FAQs. If it really isn't covered in there then many people in the forum would love to answer these new challenging questions.
[/quote]

I didn't ask any of those I was asking about Game design schools with on campus housing and I looked back twice since your replies and that's still not there. Non-game schools with housing are mentioned, but none are mentioned that are game focused.
I was asking about Game design schools with on campus housing and I looked back twice since your replies and that's still not there.

Sorry the FAQs weren't helpful for you. You probably need to contact all those "Game design schools" and ask them about on campus housing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement