🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Planning for the future

Started by
26 comments, last by HuwFulcher 13 years ago
Okay so I'm currently 15 (soon to be 16 ^^) and am looking at taking a degree in Computer Games Programming. So planning ahead I have researched job oppourtunites and University's etc. So far I think this is the right course for me. I love how they make games and will take a look at learning a few of the basics of C#, Java, Python and maybe C++ to get a head start at uni. I've basically trimmed the uni options down to 2 or 3 based on how close they are (3 hours and 30 mins away from me max) so here they are

• Staffordshire University (has the highest rating out of 3 on thecompleteuniversityguide.com)
  • De Montfort University (has the lowest " ")
  • Derby University (has the second best " ")
    Any advice would be helpful. I'm looking at how good the courses are not how good the Uni life is (although it is a bonus) ;). If you have any feedback for me please say so :).

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Ive read that companies prefer employees with a degree in Computer Science or Math, etc over employees with degrees focused in game programming...

Take a look at requirements here: http://jobs.rockstargames.com/ (Rockstar Toronto as a lot of programming jobs open) and also check other developer websites...

Also, you should learn more than the basics of C++, C#, Java... it's really easy to start!! Try to create simple games...

So my advice is that you take a degree in something more generic... Maybe Computer Science.

Ive read that companies prefer employees with a degree in Computer Science or Math, etc over employees with degrees focused in game programming...

Take a look at requirements here: http://jobs.rockstargames.com/ (Rockstar Toronto as a lot of programming jobs open) and also check other developer websites...

Also, you should learn more than the basics of C++, C#, Java... it's really easy to start!! Try to create simple games...

So my advice is that you take a degree in something more generic... Maybe Computer Science.

Thanks for the quick response :) I'm not entirely sure if I agree with you about the degrees but I will look into it. I have sent an email to Lionhead Studios asking about and took a look at the Bungie Job offers as well :). Do you know of any good sites or articles about C#, Java and Python I can take a look at? I've been keeping an eye out for books on them :).
Yeah, generally a computer science degree will hold more weight then a game degree. That doesn't necessarily mean that a game orientated degree is bad, just not as good.

I strongly recommend starting programming as soon as possible, if you haven't already. Some people are just not cut out to be programmers. Or, you may think you'll enjoy it, but in fact find it extremely boring. You never really know until you try, and keep at it for at least a few months. Plus, doing so will give you a big advantage over others in your class.
Hmm okay. How does it hold more weight though? I don't really understand :S :L

In general, the perception is that the stuff you learn is better or more useful.

Technologies in game development change over time. After a 40 year career, how much of what you'll learn will be relevant?

Computer science tends to focus on data structures and algorithms. Stuff that provides a better foundation for your career, and will be around in 40 years.

[quote name='Huwtrosky' timestamp='1301594944' post='4792680']

In general, the perception is that the stuff you learn is better or more useful.

Technologies in game development change over time. After a 40 year career, how much of what you'll learn will be relevant?

Computer science tends to focus on data structures and algorithms. Stuff that provides a better foundation for your career, and will be around in 40 years.
[/quote]

I see :) thanks for that.
Here is what Staffordshire Uni has in it's Computer Games Programming Course:

Year 1
• Introduction to Computer Games and
Graphical Systems
• Hardware and Software Systems
• Maths and Statistics for Computing
• Introduction to Software Development
• Object-Oriented and Event-Driven
Programming
• Systems and Database Analysis
• Introduction to Programming 3D
Applications.

Year 2
• Windows Game Programming
• Further Programming Concepts
in C++
• Professional and Enterprise
Development
• Maths and Algorithmics
• Programming Physics and AI Engines
for Games
• Further Programming for 3D Graphics
Applications
Option modules include:
• Decision theory and Cybernetics
• Programming for mobile and
Handheld devices
• System Programming and Computer
Control Systems
Optional placement year

Year 3
• Project in Computer Games
Programming
• 3D Computer Graphics
Option modules include:
• Artifical Intelligence Engines for
Games
• Advanced Programming for 3D
Graphics Applications
• Advanced Windows Game
Programming
• Information Systems Engineering in
Industry [BEng(Hons) route]
• Further Programming for Mobile and
Handheld Devices
• Multiplayer Game Software
Engineering
• Character AI

and here is what Derby does:

[color="#333333"][font="arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"]
Modules

Stage 1

Modules you have to take (core):
bullet-content.gif Algorithms and Data Structuresbullet-content.gif Application Developmentbullet-content.gif Basic Mathematical Techniquesbullet-content.gif Computational Mathematicsbullet-content.gif Computer Architecturebullet-content.gif Games Designbullet-content.gif Ludologybullet-content.gif Programming Principles

[/font]
[color=#333333][font=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Modules you have to take (core):[/font]
[color="#333333"][font="arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"]bullet-content.gif Applied Game Developmentbullet-content.gif Console Development 1bullet-content.gif Console Development 2bullet-content.gif Games Development Techniquesbullet-content.gif Interactive 3D Graphics Programmingbullet-content.gif Introduction to 3D Graphics Programmingbullet-content.gif Mobile Device Programmingbullet-content.gif Personal and Professional Development

[/font]
[color="#333333"][font="arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"]Modules you have to take (core):
bullet-content.gif AI Techniques for Games Programmingbullet-content.gif Advanced 3D Graphics Techniquesbullet-content.gif Applied Research Projectbullet-content.gif Distributed Applicationsbullet-content.gif Languages, Platforms and Toolsbullet-content.gif Professional Practice in ITbullet-content.gif Project Management and Implementationbullet-content.gif Videogame Middleware Technology
[/font]
[color="#333333"][font="arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif"]Just from looking at Stage 1 of each Uni I can see that Derby looks at building your base knowledge first. Any ideas? I'm not ruling out CS atm I just want to wait and see what Lionhead and Bungie have to say :)[/font]

1. Here is what Staffordshire Uni has in it's Computer Games Programming Course:
2. Any ideas?
3. I'm not ruling out CS atm
4. I just want to wait and see what Lionhead and Bungie have to say :)

1. Why are you showing us all that stuff? You have to decide on your own college/uni plan. It's your first adult decision. You have to make it yourself.
2. About what?
3. OK. If you want to be a game programmer, definitely don't rule CS out.
4. About what? And why? And are you thinking those two companies are reading this thread?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Huwtrosky' timestamp='1301679642' post='4793175']
1. Here is what Staffordshire Uni has in it's Computer Games Programming Course:
2. Any ideas?
3. I'm not ruling out CS atm
4. I just want to wait and see what Lionhead and Bungie have to say :)

1. Why are you showing us all that stuff? You have to decide on your own college/uni plan. It's your first adult decision. You have to make it yourself.
2. About what?
3. OK. If you want to be a game programmer, definitely don't rule CS out.
4. About what? And why? And are you thinking those two companies are reading this thread?
[/quote]

1. I'm showing this stuff to see what people on here say because you have more experience than me most probably. Yes it is my first adult decision but I don't want to make it my worst that is why I'm asking for your input.
2. I wanted to see people's opinions.
3. Yes I do want to be a game programmer so I'm not ruling CS out :)
4. I meant I have emailed both Bungie and Lionhead. I'm not expecting a response back any time soon but I was asking which degree for game programming they look for more. CS or Computer Games Programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement