🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Roadmap to becoming a 3D Designer

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 3 months ago
I'm not sure whether or not this belongs in the For Beginner's or the Breaking into the Game Industry sections - by all means, move me if I'm wrong.

A while back, I dug this up:

Link

It's a thread about somebody trying to produce a step by step to-do list that covers all of the things you'd need to do in order to go from being somebody who knows nothing about programming - to making your own 2D MMO. (Maybe some of the more ambitious first time posters could check it out).

I really liked the idea of producing a "Roadmap" like the guy in the thread did, and so I was interested in putting together a similar agenda for what I want to do.

My personal quest has nothing to do with making a particular game, instead develop a certain skill to a proficient level.

I would like to become a 3D Modeller/Character designer, who understands and is capable of producing genuinely good, AAA quality work.

I am already a qualified artist and am confident in my traditional artistic abilities, as well as being confident in my conceptual imagination ability - though I am always eager to improve. However, I have no games industry experience, no 3D design experience and no portfolio to suggest otherwise. What should my set of tasks be?

1A) Produce concept art for a small, simple community project (Ideally, something that ships in some way, shape or form).

1B) Begin developing an understanding of 3D computer design (At the moment, I have a copy of Blender - and am trying to cobble together knowledge on how to use it by using the resources on this site, as well as bits and pieces from YouTube etc...).

2) Continue developing concept art for games, building a basic portfolio as I go.

3) Attempt a few showpiece 3D models, to use as a means of advertising myself to small indie projects looking for a 3D modeller.

4) Build up a portfolio of (hopefully shipped) titles on which I have provided graphical work.

5) Rinse and repeat steps 2-4.

-

I have no idea how realistic my roadmap is, or how feasible - and this is the reason that I am putting it to you, the community, for criticism and suggestion. Feel free to copy and paste this, adding or taking away points as you see fit. As far as I'm concerned - the smaller, more bite sized the tasks - the more coherent the roadmap will be.

*Please note; I am aware that the roles of Concept Artist and 3D Modeller are two totally different posts, but as an artist, I think that the ability to conceptualise ideas is essential - especially in a role like 3D modelling, and in an industry like game design - regardless of whether you are not the concept artist in that particular scenario.

C&C welcomed. Thanks - TexasJack.
Advertisement
Moved to Breaking In.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement