🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

questions about breaking into the industry

Started by
2 comments, last by turlisk 13 years, 7 months ago
Hey guys, just got some questions about getting into the game industry.

I also want to say hi to Tom because I know are probably reading this and I've probably missed a section on your site that probably helps big time in my questions.

anyways to the point i'm going to school for an associated in game development and it's almost completed, the degree is outlined with the following courses math (specialized physics for game environments), coding (intro to c++, object orientated c++), ai programming, 2d and 3d programming (c# XNA) mobile phone (or) flash programming, tech writing, media writing, classic mythology, 2d drawing, 3d animation classes, game design, business of games, and finally a capstone class (we'll build a game from scratch).

probably could have just gave you this link to explain it all in detail.
http://www.jccc.edu/home/catalog.php/current/careerprograms/AAS-GAMEDEV

so after looking at this, my question is broken into two parts, I'm currently and have been for a few years working in tech support, should i first go for a 4 year degree in computer science or should i attempt to break straight into the industry with a level design/scripting job then move into a programming position.

any help on this would be great.
Advertisement
What do you want to do?

Do you want to stay in school? Do you want to enter the work force?

There is always a lot of competition for game jobs, so finding an entry level job isn't always easy. That's especially true in this economy. You will be competing against others with bachelor's degrees. In that regard, it may be better to stay in school until both the job market is better and you have finished to the bachelor's degree level. Having that traditional computer science degree can also help you get a job during when/if you ever have difficulty finding jobs in games. Or it may be better for you to start your job search and enter the long haul of work life.

My general recommendation is a bachelor's degree in CS for programmers. It gives you a broader knowledge base and broader opportunities for the nearly-inevitable career changes later in life.
>my question is broken into two parts, I'm currently and have been for a few years working in tech support, should i first go for a 4 year degree in computer science or should i attempt to break straight into the industry with a level design/scripting job then move into a programming position.

That looks like only one question to me (a two-choices question).
You can go ahead and try to break in through level design / scripting, if your portfolio is strong enough.
In the meantime, you could go to college and get a degree in whatever you like.

And hi back atcha.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
>my question is broken into two parts, I'm currently and have been for a few years working in tech support, should i first go for a 4 year degree in computer science or should i attempt to break straight into the industry with a level design/scripting job then move into a programming position.

That looks like only one question to me (a two-choices question).
You can go ahead and try to break in through level design / scripting, if your portfolio is strong enough.
In the meantime, you could go to college and get a degree in whatever you like.

And hi back atcha.

eh i guess i forgot to ask my second question whoops!

the associates degree that i'm going for does this look like a good overall program for game development? it looks to me like i get a little bit of base knowledge in everything, programming (lots of it) writing, math, mythology, and art.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement