🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Once and for all...

Started by
2 comments, last by Noods 22 years, 10 months ago
Here are some terms that keep coming up and I need to know what they mean because every resource I find makes reference to them. What is MFC? What is the difference between MFC, API and Win32 and what is thier relation? I have a general idea of what they are, but... what are they!!! What is OOP? Thanks! -Noods
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Noods
What is MFC?

Suggestion: try a search engine. You''d be surprised to find they can answer these questions for you instantly.

MFC = Microsoft Foundation Classes. This is an object-oriented library that helps you program Windows applications.

quote: What is the difference between MFC, API and Win32 and what is thier relation?

API is Application Programming Interface. It is a general term: there isn''t a single thing called ''API'', rather, it describes several things. For example, the Win32 API is a set of functions for programming Win32 applications. The DirectDraw API is a set of functions for using DirectDraw, and so on. Win32 is Windows 95 and upwards, but I guess you knew that.

quote: What is OOP?

Object oriented programming. The idea is that your programs revolve around what ''objects'' do, not around functions and data.
quote: Original post by Noods

What is MFC?

MFC = Microsoft Foundation Classes. It''s basicly a wrapper ( set of classes mostly) around the base Windows API. It allows the developer to easily create windows and such. Often used to develop tools but is not often used in games because of poor performance.

quote:
What is the difference between MFC, API and Win32 and what is thier relation? I have a general idea of what they are, but... what are they!!!

API = Applications Programming Interface. It''s just a collection of funtions/stuctures/classes that you develop with. For example, the Win32 API contains functions like CreateWindow(...). These functions are part of the Win32 API. MFC is a set of classes that use these functions. So you don''t have to worry about low level funtions. You can just use the higher level classes to program with.

quote:
What is OOP?

OOP = Object Oriented Programming.
This is a methodology in programming. It basicly means that you design you code in blocks that are independent ( or reasonably so ) from other blocks. In OOP you are more concerned with the interface to those blocks then the implementation. Think of it as "Black Box" design where the inputs and outputs are more important then the implementation.

-------
Andrew
One thing that both these replys didn''t really mention is that MFC is oop and technacly it''s also an api (i.e. it provides an interface for application programming).
So, esentally it''s an oop based api. Other may disagree and they may be correct but that''s just my take on it.
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement