🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Part Time Game Testing

Started by
5 comments, last by Assyranok 13 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I'm new to the site, I have been looking into Game Development and Game Testing lately and I was wondering if there is any way I can get into game testing on a part time basis. Just to test a few games, kinda learn the ropes of the trade. If not that's perfectly reasonable but I was just wondering anyway.

Any help would be great.
Kindest Regards.
Advertisement
I'm not sure if it works this way everywhere, but at the studio I'm at we pretty much only hire full time (usually temporary) testing (QA- Quality Assurance) positions.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
No, Quality Assurance is not a part-time job. It's a full-time job. Read FAQ 5 (scroll up and click the tiny blue "View Forum FAQ" link), here in the Breaking In forum where this thread now resides.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You mention part time game testing? Well, you didn't mention paid position.....

http://www.igda.org.my/?p=490

Will it look good on your portfolio?

But if you try to contact these developer, and ask for the test workflow (list of things you do, not things you want to play).

There are usually two way of beta testing, first is the list type, you do everything all on the list, making it work correctly.

Then you play the game the way you want, and see if the game breaks. This is usually catch things that's not on the list.

the book Game Development & Architecture has chapter on game testing.

Still, try to contact this developer, and ask them once the game went into release, can you put beta testing on your portfolio or not.
Quote: Original post by FableFox
Will it look good on your portfolio?
There are usually two way of beta testing

Just to be clear:
Beta testing is an entirely different thing from game testing (usually called Quality Assurance).
Beta testing is not a job -- it's something you do at home, for little to no pay. It does not lead to a job in the game industry. (But can look good in your cover letter -- since it doesn't belong in a resume -- if you're seeking a job in Quality Assurance.)
Quality Assurance testing, however, is a full-time paid job that can lead to a career in the game industry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I know Microsoft would pick up testers (through subcontracting agencies) for single days at a time. My understanding though was it was for the works jobs, like the guy who ejects the Xbox DVD drive all day, and you had to get there at like 7AM to get on the list for the day.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about - read at your own risk...
My recommendation is that you search for a company that is outsourced for video game testing. E4E is an example and the company for which I currently work for. They are perfect for entry level positions. The Video Game Developers themselves tend to search for testers with at least a year's experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement