🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do i need to take a level physics if i want to be a programmer?

Started by
10 comments, last by loom_weaver 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by Bregma
If you want a rewarding career as a software developer (in any field, including games) you need to take physics, up to at least one university-level course (along with multivariable calculus, which along with linear algebra is required to understand the physics).

If you just want a job as a code monkey, don't bother with the edumacashun thing. You won't need it.

har har har - be carefull there. it remind me of several stories (i won't name names).

1) a company received a lot of money to do animation. decided to outsource a portion of it (quite interesting, considering they are located in a cheap labour country anyway) to even cheaper labour countrry. the story goes that someone set up an animation company, "pick people off the street" and failed to deliver, all. the "" are word from the guy who decided to outsource it. The mystery (to me, that is)
a) why did the company get the job?
b) why that company didn't get sued?

2) a company want to expand, so they rent offices, buy state of the art pc (equal money) buy software (even more money) and hire grads (time and money, with time = money), and with these three month trial period (equal 3 month salary which means money) burns so much money just to fill a seat.

These day, without this "edumacashun thing", you can't even be a code monkeys, because people want monkeys that can climb, jump from trees to trees, with banana as a salary.

Interesting real life story, I know.
Advertisement
Yes, if you want to have any idea how write code that can simulate real world phenomena (hmm, do games ever do this???!!). If you don't understand the mathematical underpinning then you'll just end up spinning your wheels writing some convoluted mess and trying to communicate what you just did and why with other people will probably be a lot harder than it needs to be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement