🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

another UK university help thread.

Started by
13 comments, last by richy19 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by HackSlash
Before I answer that, take a look at the Skillset accredited courses on their website here. The only course that's accredited at the University of Hull is the Msc Games Programming course and these are the courses that have been praised by the games industry. Y'know, not to make you're decision even more tougher ;)

Im not really 100% sure how much i trust that site, im sure their doing there best to research all the courses and such, but derby's course isnt on there and thats meant to be one of the best courses in the country (or so i have heard)
Toughts, creations and ramblings can be found at: http://richy1913.byethost22.com/
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by richy19
Im not really 100% sure how much i trust that site, im sure their doing there best to research all the courses and such, but derby's course isnt on there and thats meant to be one of the best courses in the country (or so i have heard)

I could be wrong but I don't think Skillset go searching for all the games courses, there are a number of tickboxes that the courses need to check and then they apply to be skillset accredited at which point they then review the course and decide whether it meets their standards or not. It could be that Derby haven't applied for it, so there could be good courses that aren't accredited.
I am thinking of sending them an email just to get their view.
So far i have:
Quote:

Hi.
I am currently looking into different universities as i am planing to apply this year.
I wish to do some sort of computer programming in the future and have a strong lean towards the games sector.
I wondered if you could answer some questions to help me choose between taking the "computer science with games development" or just the normal "computer science" and take some of the modules of the games development course.
1- What percentage of students ultimately end up in the games sector after taking the games development Bsc course?
2- Do you often get studios or companies asking for undergraduates? And if so would you give preference to those students that have taken the games course or would you offer the job to any of the students that was looking to work in that sector?
3- What contacts does the department have within the games sector?

Anything else i could add?
Toughts, creations and ramblings can be found at: http://richy1913.byethost22.com/
Quote: Original post by stone_ta
I could be wrong but I don't think Skillset go searching for all the games courses, there are a number of tickboxes that the courses need to check and then they apply to be skillset accredited at which point they then review the course and decide whether it meets their standards or not. It could be that Derby haven't applied for it, so there could be good courses that aren't accredited.

That is correct. You have to apply to get your course Skillset accredited which takes time and looks at past students work throughout the years.

Since the course is fairly new, they wouldn't be able to show past students' work.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Is there anything you would recommend i put on the personal statement?
I see that some of you have been or are at university and you opinion would really help me as i am clueless as to what to put.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement