🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

another UK university help thread.

Started by
13 comments, last by richy19 13 years, 7 months ago
Hi i first of all just want to say that all though i haven't posted much on here i have been lurking the forum for a while, and by doing that i have seen a few of the "what course to do" threads.

I have read all the information you usually give those people as well as some other stuff i found, the thing is:

Next year 2011 i will be starting university and there fore now is the time i have to choose and apply for them, however im having a bit of a hard time choosing what course to do, on one hand i love games and programming and i would love to work as a programmer, on the other hand im realistic and know that its hard enough to get a job at all let alone one in the games industry.

So my debate is whether to try and go for derby's programming course(which i have seen people say is very good) or go to one of the other universities and take computer science with a few modules that would benefit a games career.

Now until now i wouldn't even of asked however i am reading more and more here and i see that derby's got probably the best course for programming(games wise that is) and they probably have good contacts within the industry, so they would be best suited for say helping me get a summer internship or something.

Apart from that i would also like your help with anything i can do at home to further my knowledge into the subject, im currently learning C++ by creating a simple game with SFML as well as learning some advanced maths.

Oh and also would it be ok if i posted a personal statement once i have a draft see what you think?
As well as if you have any advice on it?
Finally i dont know if anyone here goes or has been to Hull university, but anyone know what their contacts in the industry are like and such?

Thanks to anyone and everyone that has taken the time to read that, really appreciated.
Toughts, creations and ramblings can be found at: http://richy1913.byethost22.com/
Advertisement
Derby have a mandatory placement year in the industry (between 2nd and 3rd year) and usually do their best to find placements for all students.

I did do the Hull MSc which was pretty good. I don't know what the undergraduate course is like as it is fairly new but they do have good ties to the industry since many of the past students now work in the industry.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Do you have any idea as to what companies they have contact with?
Also how good would you say there level of teaching was?
Toughts, creations and ramblings can be found at: http://richy1913.byethost22.com/
I've just graduated from the Msc Games Programming course at Hull this year (and got a job!) and it's quite good but like yaustar, I can't comment on Hull's undergraduate course. I've heard Abertay has an amazing course (and labs?) for Undergraduates.

One of the lecturers, Jonathan Purdy, has a few ties to the industry and got a couple of the students interviews with Sony (because they did very well on PSP development). We also had trips to Black Rock, Codemasters and Eutechnyx so that gave us an opportunity to show us our portfolios.
Would you (or anyone for that matter) recommend doing the:
Computer Science with Games Development
or
Computer Science, and then do the game modules?

Someone passed me the undergraduate handbook thing and the only modules that the comp science does that the games one doesn't is an intro into teaching IT which i wouldn't mind taking, however i guess they would give preference of any jobs in the games industry to those that specifically take the games development course.

Or would they just offer any jobs to those that do the best in the classes regardless of what course you registered for?
Quote: Original post by richy19
i guess they would give preference of any jobs in the games industry to those that specifically take the games development course.

Who is this "they" to whom you refer?
Don't live your life on what "they" say. Live it to suit your own interests and abilities.
And always capitalize the word "I" (exception for texting).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sorry I meant that if the lecturers heard of any jobs going, would they give preference to the students in the games course? Or would they just offer it to who ever did the best in their class(and consequently would probably be better at the job) ?
Sorry I meant that if the lecturers heard of any jobs going, would they give preference to the students in the games course? Or would they just offer it to who ever did the best in their class(and consequently would probably be better at the job) ?

I can't speak for any others, I can only say what I do. When I hear of an available job, I either let all my students know about it, or I give the information about the job to a select group of my students who I think are likely to be viable candidates for the job.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Before I answer that, take a look at the Skillset accredited courses on their website here. The only course that's accredited at the University of Hull is the Msc Games Programming course and these are the courses that have been praised by the games industry. Y'know, not to make you're decision even more tougher ;)

To answer your question, the lecturers do give us preference if there are studios looking to hire graduates but if you're really good, like the PSP students in my class, they'll only the job to those students.
Whilst I was at Uni I found that the lecturers didn't go out of their way to give details about graduate jobs, but what they did do was give us the opportunities to network with people from the industry, through guest lectures and supporting us through the Dare to be Digital application process and the Game Republic Student Showcase. Also if you show a certain aptitude and interest there may be contacts that lecturers can make use of to help you get started in the Industry that aren't necessarily advertised.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement