🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where do i start?

Started by
6 comments, last by yaustar 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi all

As you can imagine i want to get into game design.
My plans are to Learn as much as i can , Do a games design course at college ,Take part in projects ,try to get a work placement in a games company and get Bsc(hons) in Computer games design.

I am an absolute beginner and will take all the advice and help you guys can throw at me and would really be thankful if someone could teach me some things over time and point me in the right direction.

I have no idea what beginner programs to use either. I just have a little experience in graphic design using GIMP.

So there it is!

Please get back to me asap annd thanks :)

-Xcal

Advertisement
Quote: and get Bsc(hons) in Computer games design.

I recommend against that.

Quote: I am an absolute beginner and will take all the advice and help you guys can throw at me and would really be thankful if someone could teach me some things over time and point me in the right direction.

Sloperama's FAQ should help in that respect. The nutshell version is make games. Any kind of games. Card, board, dice, etc. And learn some production skills as well such as level editing, scripting, programming, modelling, animation, scripting.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Thanks ,Why do you reccomend against the Bsc ?
-Xcal
Unless you are going into programming, I'll personal recommend against going to college at all. And you can't go from school to a game designer. It takes years to achieve this level and everyone starts at the production level (programming, modeling, level design, etc).
You have to go to college. Scroll up and click the tiny blue "View Forum FAQ" link. Read FAQ 3 especially.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ignore everything unfateful just said.

I do agree though that a game design school isn't a great idea. They try to make a jack of all trades person (a tiny bit of modeling, level design, and programming, mixed with design). Companies want a programmer, or a modeler, or a designer. Not all mixed into one. The biggest problem is that you aren't taught enough of one specific discipline to compete with say someone who went to school for just Animation / 3d Modeling, you won't be able to program as well (now you could but you won't have as much formal education and thats a large part of how you get through HR) as someone who has a BS in Computer Science.

If you want to be an artist, goto a good animation school, while there learn game techniques also. It will teach you skills that can be harder to learn on your own, and you will have people critiquing your work making you a better modeler.

If you want to be a programmer, get a Comp Sci degree. It will teach you more low level information, make you a better programmer (than if the same person went to a game design school). You will understand more advanced topics better (same stipulation applies). So overall a better candidate for a programming position.

If you want to be a designer, do one of the above, make sure to have superb communication skills (written and verbal), you need good communication skills in any aspect of game design but design is the biggest, get an entry level position and work your way up.

[Edited by - JonConley on November 2, 2010 3:31:36 PM]
Quote: Original post by XcalbuR

"View Forum FAQ"

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by XcalbuR
-Xcal

Did you read the blog entry I linked to?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement