🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Should I learn MATLAB?

Started by
8 comments, last by Steve132 13 years, 8 months ago
I'm debating whether or not I should learn MATLAB. For one thing I'm not sure what I would use it for considering I focus most of my attention Web development (and occasionally a few desktop game and software). But from what I know I am going to be using it in college because I'm planning to be a computer or electrical engineering major.

Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to self-teach myself MATLAB in preparation for university? Or should I just wait for a few years for the professors to teach me?
Advertisement
I don't want to be rude but you really should decide this kind of question for yourself. You (in general) should learn to me more autonomous, don't aks for guidance for everything.

Anyway, they will teach you how to use it, I'm sure. It's quite easy I think, and quite fun.
And how could you learn it if it's not free?
Why are you majoring in EE if you're focused on webdev?

Matlab fits well with EE, less with things that are... less academic.
What Telastyn said. If you're planning on becoming an EE, you will need to learn MATLAB. If you focus more on software, not so much.

Also, if you do plan on becoming an EE, don't assume they will teach you how to use MATLAB. They'll just expect you to pick it up. I wouldn't expect a CS student to have to be explicitly taught how to use Visual Studio or any other IDE. It should be expected that they can just pick it up.
Well, Matlab is not just an IDE. I think it can be considered as another language. But it's very easy. Well... maybe not. Depending on what you want to do/use (symulink, windows forms, signal processing, there's a lot in that thing.)
You could learn Python and the numpy/scipy module. I never used matlab myself (only python for that), but as far as I know, those modules were designed to be matlab user friendly and to provide the same functionality.

I find Python a pretty fun language to use.

You would be able to use it as your scientific environment and still use the Python knowledge to do pretty much whatever you could do with a general purpose language (like games while you are learning).
I had a class that used matlab in college. If you know how to program, it's not particularly difficult to pick up.
I have used Matlab in several courses (towards a Chemical Engineering Degree). It is basicaly a huge numerical/scientific library. You can use it to solve systems of differential equations, do laplace transforms, plot the results easily with very few lines of code, design simulations with simulink and many more. It has a set of 'toolboxes' for a very wide range of scientific fields. I believe that you will have the time to learn it in parallel with the courses that use it, plus what Telastyn said.
Just finished my EE Thesis, part of which involved modelling and simulating a vector control drive and synchronous motor in MATLAB (not simulink). Have never come across a better definition than

MATLAB
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
EE Major: Yes. Absolutely. Invaluable tool.
CS Major: Meh. Its pretty awesome, but only if you are doing Image processing/graphics/audio/machine learning type algorithms. Its shit for everything else.
CE Major: Yes. Same shit as EE Major.
IT Major: Don't waste your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement