🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UK Education

Started by
22 comments, last by jkh13 13 years, 8 months ago
Have you looked at software engineering degrees?
Advertisement
I have thought about it, though I've spent the past week frantically gathering information on CS and CGP degrees. So I havent searched for any SE degrees..
Ill do that now..

Do you think an SE degree may be in my best interest because im not suited to a CS degree, or maybe wont even be able to get on to a decent CS degree? Or what about a CS degree with games development? example:

University of Hull Computer Science with Games Development

Thanks again.
While you do need to be careful to pick a good and well respected game development course there are good ones out there. The argument really boils down to the fact that a CS degree may be more appropriate should you decide in later years to do something else.

I will stick in another nod for Derby. I met with the guy who runs and one of the developers I work with have had a couple of interns from Derby and both of them were very very good - good enough to be offered jobs.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
While I very much appreciate your input, I find myself banging my head against a wall (figurativley speaking) when you opt for derby haha.

I agree it seems like a great uni/course (I went to their open day on 9 Oct) I think something more general would be a better approach since at some point im going to want to leave game development and enter a higher paying, less exhaustive job as was stated in one of my above posts. But I deffinatley want to be a game programmer first.

The SE degree at staffordshire looks interesting, it covers alot of what I want to learn. Though its rated ~95 in the Times online for software engineering. How important do you think that would be to a software company (including games studios)?

Staffordshire University - BSc Software Engineering

EDIT: just seen derby rated 115, so I guess it doesnt matter a great deal.. Those that went to universities such as Oxford and Cambridge im guessing that would matter though :P.

EDIT 2: I think a CS/SE degree may be within my favor, considering my educational background is pretty narrow at the moment and I need to get some doors opened for me. It is already very difficult for me to get a job (pay for uni and other things) with a BND in Games Development >.> which is why im not going to put it on my application forms/CV anymore.

[Edited by - CodeCriminal on October 31, 2010 7:02:12 PM]
Doing a games degree doesn't necessarily close any doors to you, you just need to learn what the University won't be teaching and do it yourself. It would be the same if you went for the CS/SE route you'd have to learn yourself how to make games.
I've just graduated from a games development degree I basically chose it because it was the one I thought I would enjoy the most, I'd fully intended to sign up for the SE degree before I went up to look at the Uni.
In the end I think it comes down to personal preference what will bring out the best in you.
Quote: Original post by Katie
"(RealtimeWorlds?)"

From what I understand, RTW basically needed near-deistic intervention, and government tax breaks fall a bit short of that...

RTW was a train wreck of Biblical proportions. I knew a couple of guys who worked there at one stage, and apparently "Hitler's bunker" was an apt description. It had this veneer of a dot-com boom utopia akin to Google, but under the surface things really weren't great.

Some literature from those more involved:

Go down to the comment from "ExRTW"

Luke Halliwell - Where Realtime Worlds went wrong Part 1

Luke Halliwell - Where Realtime Worlds went wrong Part 2

Luke Halliwell - Where Realtime Worlds went wrong Part 3

(Oh yeah, I knew about MyWorld about a year before it was announced as well, because one of them breached his NDA :) )

Back on topic - I strongly recommend doing a generic CS or computing degree. I know people with Games Development degrees who are a) working in supermarkets and b) doing an MSc in a different computing field, all because they can't find work in the games industry.

I do remember Luke Halliwell saying this himself, but his blog went offline shortly after I copied those links above from it so I'll fix you up with it later.
Quote: Original post by ukdeveloper

Back on topic - I strongly recommend doing a generic CS or computing degree. I know people with Games Development degrees who are a) working in supermarkets and b) doing an MSc in a different computing field, all because they can't find work in the games industry.

So you are saying had they done a CS degree they would definitely have a job in the industry? On the flip side of that I know a number of people who have done gaming degrees and got great jobs in the industry. I believe that its all about how you apply yourself to how far you go.
Quote: Original post by stone_ta

1. So you are saying had they done a CS degree they would definitely have a job in the industry?
2. On the flip side of that I know a number of people who have done gaming degrees and got great jobs in the industry.
3. I believe that its all about how you apply yourself to how far you go.

1. I'm sure that's not what he was saying.
2. Sure, and I've heard of plenty of people who dropped out and became fabulously wealthy.
3. Yes. Absolutely.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by stone_ta

So you are saying had they done a CS degree they would definitely have a job in the industry? On the flip side of that I know a number of people who have done gaming degrees and got great jobs in the industry. I believe that its all about how you apply yourself to how far you go.

It's more likely that you can get a games job with a normal computing degree than the other way around. Games developers are very used to hiring people with computing degrees, as these people will show their game credentials via additional portfolio work. Business developers are not used to hiring game developers, and will see the list of skills you covered on your course and notice that a lot of what they consider to be important is missing.

On top of that, there are more non-games computing jobs than games jobs. You have 60 or 70 years of work ahead of you after you leave university. Do you think you'll be in games for all of that? Even if you would like that to be the case, what about the first couple of years after uni - not all graduates are snapped up by the industry. It would be better for you to be able to do a normal computing job for a few years than to have to work for a supermarket.
Hello and thank you for your comments.. So I have decided that a CS/SE degree would be in my best interests cnosidering my future during and after the games industry and other factors.. However I am having greater difficulty writing a personal statement that "sells me" as an ideal candidate for a position on computer science degree, as the majority of my interest is within programming and as we all well know computer science is not about all about programming.
Have developers even seen what a computer science degree is? It makes me wonder why they prefer it over software engineering which seems to hit much closer to home.

Anyway here is my personal statement draft, Id just like some input if you dont mind:

Quote: During my early years I was introduced to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System since then, computer systems have interested me greatly. This fascination stems from my curiosity of how/why computers and the software therein work.
Several years later we got our first family computer with a dial-up connection to the internet. Through which I discovered programming, with a piece of software called Gamemaker 6.0. I later progressed onto general purpose languages such as C#, Visual Basic, C and C++. During that time I have covered vast grounds in nurturing my understanding of computers and software development. Creating many small applications, everything from several data structures to mathematically generating parametric objects with Direct3D (among them included; spheres, cones, and tori). So it is fair to say that overall, my passion lies within the realms of computer programming, with a focus on – though not limited to – video games.
Mathematics is of course an important part of computing, and programming has helped me to understand the beauty and elegance that mathematics is, something that is not taught in secondary school. Thus I now have a deep appreciation for the subject, I study it at GCSE and Advanced level in my own time using www.khanacademy.org and various other resources scattered throughout the internet.

During my BTEC National Diploma in Game Development, we had a unit in game programming. While the content of the unit was very basic (to cater for the beginners) compared to what I had previously been exposed to through my own studies. It did however help me to manage larger projects, something which I am lacking in and hope to improve upon during a degree.

Outside of school I work a part time voluntary job which entails visiting care homes for the elderly and disabled. Delivering clothes, as most are unable to leave the care homes and rely solely upon me and the other workers to provide for them. My role with this particular job involves, unloading and loading the van used to transport the wares, reaching clothing that has been placed in high areas for display, and serving customers by packing their purchased items. Along with my main role, various other tasks are appointed to me when the need arises. The skills I have improved upon during my time at this job include; time management, communication and team work, which are important skills for both the degree subject I endeavour to take and the resulting employment.

I wish to study a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering to advance my knowledge and understanding of computing on a much deeper level than that of the average computer user, to improve upon my existing programming ability, to broaden my future career prospects, and for the sheer joy of studying subjects that I am interested in, such as; algorithms and data-strutures.

Its unfinished and needs a better structure.. But I dont have long to get this in so if you could give some other advice on what is already there?

- Do I talk to much about programming?
- Should I include my interest in traditional/digital art? If so how would it be relevant?

etc etc..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement