🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do I really need to know...

Started by
2 comments, last by Kaezin 22 years, 10 months ago
Every little tidbit of information on Directx? I''m using the Tricks book and Andre explains every little tidbit and I don''t understand a thing. He said using it is 10x easier than understanding it, and I hope thats true. But do I really need to know EVERYTHING about COM? I understand the basics of it all, but I get lost later. I can do the programs just fine, and change it around by looking at it, but when I read the book it just confuses me. I really doubt I need to know everything, but that''s why I''m here asking =D
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator
Advertisement
I couldn''t tell you whether or not you absolutly need to know everything about it, chances are you don''t need to know all.

But... The more you know, the easier the rest (that you will use regularly) will be.

So.. .yes, learn it all. Because in some weird way, even learning to fold a paper crane helps you understand programming...

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
LaMothe's book hardly explains "every little tidbit". Most of what he writes is stuff that would be beneficial to know. As for COM, you don't really need to understand it a whole lot, as long as you get the basic idea. But knowing it can't hurt.

Edited by - Midnight Coder on August 24, 2001 5:39:40 PM
you don''t need to understand com and such to be able to write your own directx games... the way you program apps running under windows may be confusing at first, but with time it will all fall into place... experience is the best teacher...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement