🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Focus on Job Hunt?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 9 months ago
I've always been developing personal projects in my spare time however I'm getting to the point where I feel after my current project winds down I'll have a solid portfolio and will begin the game job hunt (I currently work in a non-game related industry).

I'm wondering whether I should start another personal project or if I should concentrate on the job hunt. If I concentrate on the hunt I might be able to refine my resume/portfolio and apply to more places. However, if I don't get a game-related job, I may end up with an out of date portfolio.

The other option is to do both, job hunt and work on my personal projects but then both are sharing the 'spotlight' instead of a single one being my focus.

What do you guys think, continue to develop my portfolio as I'm hunting?

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Advertisement
You're looking for the easy answer. You're hoping your mini-poll won't come up with the correct answer: "do both."
I question your passion for creating games, since you asked if you can take a break from pursuing your supposed passion.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
You're looking for the easy answer. You're hoping your mini-poll won't come up with the correct answer: "do both."
I question your passion for creating games, since you asked if you can take a break from pursuing your supposed passion.

The tone in my first post may have been somewhat incorrect. I'm currently planning on going forward by doing both, in fact I've had the idea for the next project for quite some time and have started designing it. I was just curious what others are doing and what they've seen (if focusing on one makes the other suffer when looking at the job hunt versus personal/portfolio projects).

However, if I had to choose between a game dev job and working on a personal project that I have an interest in, I'd easily choose the game job.

Unless quitting my job is considered having a passion, I like to think I have a passion for making games. Working 40 hours a week and then focusing on game programming and development several hours every night (more on the weekends) I think shows some passion. I could be like most other people and say I want a game job because I play games but I prefer to see myself as a bit more passionate.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Quote: Original post by programmermattc
However, if I had to choose between a game dev job and working on a personal project that I have an interest in, I'd easily choose the game job.

Correct.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement