🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interview Questions in the Industry

Started by
10 comments, last by dclyde 13 years, 8 months ago
You mean questions like these?

"How do you see yourself in the future? Why?"
"How do you see your work at our company? Why?"
"How would you approach < a particular, real task here >? Why?"
"Can you do/have you done < a particular, real task here >?"
"What can you do? Why?"
"Do you do sports? If not, why?"
"What did you do in your internship? Why?"
"What are your hobbies? Why?"
"Speak about your thesis work."

Well, there are lots of guides on the web. I, for one, was on an interview only once in my life. I couldn't even prepare for it. But I got the job, and a pretty cool and non-entry level job. I was honest, I told them what I can do and what I can't. I got the job almost immediately. (I knew it, but they told me the next day).
Advertisement
In some cases the answer to your question is:

They will ask as much about all of the above until they determine how much you know about it and if you are willing to try and bluff your way through a question you don't know.

In some of these cases it doesn't even matter what level position it is for since there isn't much wrong with trying to figure out exactly how much you know. It isn't expected for an associate programmer to be greatly in depth with everything but if they are it speaks volumes for their ability to gather knowledge and possibly for their passion to obtain knowledge.

I know this makes it hard to "study" for an interview, but if you are honest with your answers your actual knowledge base should be enough. The last programming test I took I did very well on, but when going over it with the person interviewing me they said "it looks like you did an in place new here instead of a normal new?" to which I said "Sorry, I must have blanked, for the last 5 years all of my allocations have been done through macros and I simply forgot the syntax." Was it lame on my part? Yes. Did it really matter? No. So if someone asks something you know but are forgetting because you have barely used it since you learned it simply say that IMO. Unless you know someone at the company that knows what they ask there is no "foolproof" way to study for an interview at a company with a good interview process.
// Full Sail graduate with a passion for games// This post in no way indicates my being awake when writing it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement