🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio Content

Started by
9 comments, last by frob 13 years, 9 months ago
Quote: Original post by Altourus
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote: Original post by frob
and what does bartender experience have to do with programming?

If he was a bartender, then it belongs on his resume. All paid work experience belongs on the resume.

That's what I had always assumed.

As a fresh graduate, I would possibly agree.

But you graduated in 2008, and have worked as a software developer at two different companies. With those years of programming work experience behind you, I'd cut those old after-school and summer jobs.

You've had a career-oriented job or two, so you can drop the early jobs that had nothing to do with your career. For some people that means removing the fact that they did janitorial work or child care or fast food. Yours happened to be telemarketing, help desk, and bartender support.

When I see you picked up your BSc. in 2008, the jobs from 2003 to 2005 really just look like filler. They don't directly relate to programming. Yes, HR people and employers know most people work their way through school with unrelated jobs. You've had two professional jobs since then, I'd consider dropping those 5-7 year old summer jobs fairly soon.

The first thing I noticed are the dates -- May to August summer job, an after school job from August to November. When I note that you left your job for unknown reasons in April 2010, my mind immediately jumps to 'job hopper'. Then I noted they were three years before your college graduation, and realized they were just a distraction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement