🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Directx problems

Started by
5 comments, last by Kaezin 22 years, 10 months ago
No tutorials out there that I have found explain ANYTHING that would help me with Directx and making just a SIMPLE program. Most everything I''ve found is all text and no code. Some other parts are tiny little tidbits that I know won''t work. NOTHING out there says how to go from the beginning. And to top it off, I get about 50 errors when I just do #include ddraw.h (with the brackets), with nothing else in the program. This sucks
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator
Advertisement
First Go bye a book then post a problem if you have one.
Also if you are using VC++6.0 you need to include the lib''s in your project ladder. Other than that you need to find more tutorials, I know they are out there.
Bryan Neumann
There are many tutorials right on this site. But I would still suggest buying a book (Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by André LaMothe is an excellent choice).
Alright. I believe the reason why I am having all these problems is because of my damned compiler, Dev-C++. It's given me nothing but trouble. Nothing seems to work with it. It pops up errors with everything I download (I am linking and including everything correctly). I spent two days trying to download the damned borland C++ builder, but now it keeps saying a damned file is missing. I'm sorry this is just so damned fustrating, I have no idea how any of you can do this stuff. I have no money because I am just in high school and personally I need the money for other things. I can't afford to spend $40 on a programming book, let alone $100 on VC++. This is just so damned fustrating.

Edited by - Kaezin on August 21, 2001 10:29:16 PM
DevC++ doesn''t support DirectDraw. You need to find a compiler that does support it. If you buy the book Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus I believe there is one on the CD. Anyways good luck. By the way I am in High School too and in my opinion buying a book will not break the bank. So just buy it and trust me you''ll be in better shape for you programming future.
Oh well NOW you guys tell me...*grumbles unhappily for a couple minutes* okay thanks I''ll look under the couches for loose change =D
Kaezin:
Try Teej''s "hands-on" tutorial that you can find in forums section on GameDev.It has complete basic program and functions that init Dx and the good part is that Teej explaines every thing. It is ( in my opinion ) a very good start point in your DirectX learning. I know it helped me .
But the sad news is that this tutorial uses MSVC++ to ...so try to get that ( I even read somewhere on "beginers forum" or in Teej''s forum ( I don''t remember well ) an web adrress from where you could download for free MSVC++ .I don''t know if this is true ( I Know for shure that it isn''t legal but is your decision, I am just tring to help )
The Mask

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement