🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

directx

Started by
3 comments, last by stevelevesque 22 years, 10 months ago
On my computer i have a file that says directx.When i click on it it brings me to DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Is that the actual directx program that can create 3d object or is it just a program that is on all computers. steve
~When The Only Thing You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Looks Like A Nail.www.instinctz.net
Advertisement
DirectX isn''t a "program", and you can''t use it to "create" 3d objects. Click the "for beginners" link above for what you need.
This program does not create 3d stuff.
All this does is if Direct X is broken it
helps fix it. Typical for microsoft to assume
it''s software is going to break.
You probably have Direct X drivers on you computer
for running games that require Direct X.

To make 3d stuff you need a compiler
ex. Visual C++ 6.0 or a Visual Basic compiler and
the Direct X SDK which is available at the microsoft
site for download. It is about 141 Megs. Much too big
to download on a 56k modem. There is also openGL SDK
for making 3d stuff too. It is easier to learn then
Direct X but it has''nt been updated for awhile.
Direct X may surpass it in the future.
Adulthood is the vehicle for making you childhood dreams come true.
That program is the DirectX diagnostic tool. It can give you information on your version of DirectX as well as test for problems with DirectX among other things. DirectX is not a program, it''s an API.

BTW, If you want to learn to program 3D games under Direct3D, I would recommend that you first learn how to write 3D software renderers, to give you an idea of the math behind things.
quote: Original post by Midnight Coder
BTW, If you want to learn to program 3D games under Direct3D, I would recommend that you first learn how to write 3D software renderers, to give you an idea of the math behind things.

I must admit I disagree strongly with that. It''s like learning how to make an internal combustion engine before studying car mechanics. These days you really don''t need to learn a lot of the lower level details, and since making a software renderer is a couple of orders of magnitude harder than getting Direct3D or OpenGL to draw a few triangles, I really wouldn''t recommend it to start out with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement