🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Critique Me?

Started by
1 comment, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 9 months ago
Prepost Warning: Programmer/Game-Programmer Semi-Expert, GameDev.net Noob, Job Holding Noob

I am trying to break into the games industry. I haven't put out "hundreds" of resumes. Closer to 80 or so, mostly in the last three months since I graduated from DigiPen. At this point, I need a job very badly, and would work in any programming or IT job anywhere in the US. I would like to get your opinions on my submission materials and some ways I can improve them. I'm posting the txt version of my resume (the general one, not specific to a given job) and a link to my current (out of date) portfolio. I've already got plans to update the portfolio, but I would appreciate any feedback you have on it anyway. And before you ask, yes, I will be taking down the film class videos.

Resume:
Quote: Dwight House
Generalist Programmer (Game/3D/Web Experience)

[ADDRESS HIDDEN]
Haughton, LA 71037
[PHONE HIDDEN]
dwighthouse@gmail.com
dwightdesign.com

Education
------------------------------------------------
Master of Science in Computer Science
* Graduated: July 2010
* School: DigiPen Institute of Technology
* Thesis: Non-Photorealistic Real-Time Edge Rendering using Non-Duplicate Parallel Detection and Capping

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
* Graduated: May 2007
* School: Louisiana State University in Shreveport
* Minor: Fine Arts

Skills
Languages
* C/C++
* HTML/CSS
* &#106avascript
* Working Knowledge
- - C#
- - Java
- - Perl

GPU
* OpenGL/GLSL
* OpenCL

Development
* Visual Studio
* XCode
* SVN

Software
* Wordpress
* Photoshop Elements
* Word, Pages
* Powerpoint, Keynote
* Windows XP, Mac OS X
* Working Knowledge
- - 3DStudio Max, Blender

Game/3D Experience
Super Non-Infringement Bros.
In this DigiPen game, I used XNA Game Studio to create the level editor, game logic, rendering, and controls for a Super Mario Bros.-style game.

Ronin Duck
I built the sound manager, helped implement the line-drawing mechanic, and implemented the menu components for this DigiPen 3D adventure game featuring a slow-mo multi-target mechanic.

DigiPen Projects
I built numerous demos and tools at DigiPen including a C# curve editor, a ray tracer, an A* path finder, a scan-line renderer with bump mapping, and numerous edge detection demos for my thesis.

Web Experience
QuickConvert Web Application ( http://quickconvert.dwighthouse.com/ )
This is a simple, client-side application designed greatly simplify the act of conversion between related entities. It is currently a work in progress, but shows some of my client-side programming ability.

Ronin Duck Official Website ( http://roninduck.dwighthouse.com/ )
This simple website is one of my most recent, showing subtle, but effective styling constructs to advertise our game and discuss its creation.

Work Experience
Web Designer/Developer ( 2004 - Present )
Self-employed building and maintaining multiple small business and project websites.

Computer Lab Assistant ( 8/2005 - 6/2007 )
Hardware installation/maintenance, troubleshooting, user support, and lab monitoring for LSUS.

Information Technology Assistant ( 7/2004 - 12/2004 )
Live-in software troubleshooting and support for a dormitory at LSU.

See portfolio for more project and work examples: http://dwightdesign.com/portfolio/

And my portfolio is here: http://dwightdesign.com/portfolio/
Soon to be replaced by something at: http://dwighthouse.com/

Oh, and if there's anyone who knows anyone who has a brother who's wife's cousin's best friend is looking for a programmer, let me know. ;)
Advertisement
Read http://www.obscure.co.uk/blog/2009/03/23/your-resume/.

Skills
Working knowledge - Stuff you tried, dabbled with or had a go at shouldn't be on your résumé. If you put something on your résumé as a skill you better be confident that you can answer questions on it or even do a test.

Word, Powerpoint, Windows XP, tying your shoes, etc - turning on a computer and typing stuff don't constitute skills when you are applying for a technical position like programmer.

3D/game experience - Think you did a pretty good job of explaining what you did on each project. It would be helpful if you gave an indication of how long they took.

Web Experience - If you are applying for a game programming position this is irrelevant. It's more padding. You would only include web experience when applying for a web development position.

Work Experience - hmmmmmmm
Stuff you do as a volunteer while at school isn't work experience. Unless you went through a recruitment process, became an employee and was paid it isn't actually work. Anything that is relevant to the position you are applying for could be listed under "Relevant experience" but steer clear of trying to make it sound like work unless it is.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote: Original post by dwighthouseGame/3D Experience
Super Non-Infringement Bros.
In this DigiPen game, I used XNA Game Studio to create the level editor, game logic, rendering, and controls for a Super Mario Bros.-style game.

Ronin Duck
I built the sound manager, helped implement the line-drawing mechanic, and implemented the menu components for this DigiPen 3D adventure game featuring a slow-mo multi-target mechanic.

DigiPen Projects
I built numerous demos and tools at DigiPen including a C# curve editor, a ray tracer, an A* path finder, a scan-line renderer with bump mapping, and numerous edge detection demos for my thesis.

Not sure how all game industry HR people are, but I've been told it's best to say what you did without using "I".

So for SNIB it would be "Used XNA Game studio to create level..." or for ronin "Built sound manager..." If you did more than one thing I'd consider doing separate bullets for each game. That way you highlight all the skills you used without risking some being overlooked.

So for ronin again it would be:
Ronin Duck - 3D Adventure Game with slow motion multi-target mechanic
*Built sound manager
*Implemented line-drawing mechanic
*Created menu implementation

This takes up a tad more page space, but a lot less visual space. The information is all there and easy for the reader to get to (the reader can get all 3 skills without having to go even half way across the page). They get what the game is, and the 3 major skills at a glance. Notice also that there are different action words (Build, Implemented, Created). Even though they all mean pretty much the same thing, it adds more variety and interest.

The above would make your digipen projects a lot nicer too. Me reading it I got to "I build numerous demos and..." and stopped.

DigiPen Projects
*Curve editor in C#
*ray tracer in (language X)
*A* path finder in (language Y)
*scan-line renderer with bump mapping in (language Z)
*edge detection (some more impressive word than "demos")

Look mow much more all your work stands out. Bare in mind that HR people don't read resumes, they skim them. Make your resume as skim friendly as possible.

You have a lot of impressive work on your resume, but you aren't displaying it like it is impressive. Make those things stand out. I can't really imagine you'll have a lot of trouble getting SOME job once you sort that stuff out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement