🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Coordinates

Started by
0 comments, last by wfryatt 22 years, 10 months ago
I''m a newbie at 3D graphics, But have been programming for years. I''m learning DirectX 8 and have a question on the 3D coordinate system it uses. I know the center of the world is coordinate 0,0,0. Which is fine, But I''m used to 2D coordinate in the Windows GDI system, And having a negitive coordinate is confusing to me. Can I just offset the camera and use postive coordinates only? In other words, 0 X, 0 Y would be the upper left hand corner of my game world. 0 Z would be the closest point to the camera. Would this work? Or should I just give up and let the 3D system with negitive coordinate ware onto me until I get it?
Advertisement
there''s nothing wrong with using positive coordinates. it just limits you to only 1 of 8 octants that you have access to. if you''re not familiar with the cartesian coordinate system, and the left-hand rule/right-hand rule, maybe you should pick up a good book on 3d math. either that, or one of the several game programming books that exists nowadays. they all teach the basics of 3d math.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement