Advertisement

3 axis input

Started by August 20, 2001 01:57 PM
3 comments, last by Captain Insanity 23 years ago
Here''s a nasty little puzzle for you all to help me with. I''m designing a game system that requires objects to be moved inside 3d space in real time, as if they were held in the player''s hand. Can anyone think of a way of doing this fluidly with only 2axis devices like mice, or joysticks? There are several imperfect ways of doing it, eg move mouse in two dimensions, click, then move in third direction, then click to place; use arrow keys for third axis; use joystick for third axis; mouse middle roller; etc. The trouble is that all of these methods are crude, and always bias the player away from the third axis, preventing proper fluid movement. You could try two mice, one in each hand, but nobody has two mice configured like this. Any ideas, anyone?
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
FPS
Advertisement
Make picking up and dropping the object require a double click. Then you can make holding the left or right click button to represent the hand movement in the 3rd axis. If the player have a 5 buttons mouse, using the two side buttons could be even better.
-------------Blade Mistress Online
Pick up/Drop item with the right mouse button, movement on X and Y axes is done just by moving the moust. Movement on the Z axis is done by holding the left mouse button down and moving the mouse up (farther away) or down (closer).

Peace out.

MrMexTaco
Peace out.MrMexTaco
Thanks. I suppose this is the best I can do without VR gloves.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement