🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game designer or game programmer or game artist in Canada?

Started by
2 comments, last by sydmarf 13 years, 10 months ago
Hello everyone! I already have an undergraduate degree in Software Engineering and am looking to get a masters degree in 1 of the above games related positions (undecided) - as stated in the subject.

So, my question is which position has the most jobs in Canada? Because after finishing my games specific degree I don't want to be jobless.

Also, if you've any other suggestions like what I'm actually up against or I'm missing something then you're very much welcome to clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
This is a terrible question. You're saying you don't have passion for either of those 3 jobs, you just want to go for whichever one will be easiest to get.

They are ALL difficult to get. Everything worth having is hard to get.
You should figure out which job you are best suited for, which one you are most interested in, and go for that one.

But, just for jollies, to answer the question:
There's more demand for good programmers than the other two.
There are a kajillion art grads. And there are a hundred thousand kajillion aspiring game designers.
If you get your masters in programming, you've got a better chance of getting a job in programming than either of those other two things.

But you don't really need a masters degree. You can just go get a programming job right now with your bachelors degree. That said, if you want to go for the masters, do it, go for it, by all means.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Something I forgot to add.

Since you're trying to make a decision, the issue of "which one is easier to get a job in" should be just ONE factor in the decision. You should make a decision grid that includes not only that one factor but several other factors as well. If you scroll up and click the small blue "View Forum FAQ," you can read about how to make a decision grid.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom. Your words are exactly what I needed. Most of my background is in programming.

Time to start specializing in game programming for my portfolio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement