🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Compilers???

Started by
7 comments, last by AreaOne 22 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone...I am new to the forums and programming. I was hoping you guys could direct me to a good free C++ compiler. I already have Visual C++ 6.0 standard edition but I am looking for something else to learn programming in. Can anyone link me to a good compiler.....or one that you guys can recommend? Thanks alot.....
Advertisement
Visual C++ is better than any free compiler you''re going to find. Why do you want a different one if you already have VC++ anyway?
Forgive me for asking what may be obvious questions, I am just beginning here so this is all sort of new to me!....

Can I use VC++ 6 for most anything? Like Direct3D and stuff? If so then maybe I should just stick to it and learn using it right?
Yes, you most certainly can!
If you have it, stick to it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Since Visual C++ 6 is what all professional windows coders are using ... you should use it to compile windows and directx samples and learn the ropes.

You should also download Borland''s free c++ compiler to do general purpose c++ stuff ... because it is more standard compliant, has a better C++ Standard library ... and generates more usefull C++ error messages ....

So good luck.

Keith McAfee
Yes, you can most definately use DirectX in VC++. And VC++ will probably work better with DirectX than any free compiler. Visual C++ is what most professionals use and it has one of the best IDEs than any compiler out there. You should definately stick with it and learn all about it.
Thanks alot for the replies from everyone, I am indeed staying with VC++ 6.0 and I am in the process of ordering some books to get me started. I know that I cannot go directly into game programming from the get go so I should just first learn the basics of the language and learn all of the code and how to arrange it and stuff correct?

Thanks everyone...
quote: Original post by AreaOne
I know that I cannot go directly into game programming from the get go so I should just first learn the basics of the language and learn all of the code and how to arrange it and stuff correct?

Absolutely. That is an excellent attitude to have. Too many people want to jump straight into games, without really knowing the language first.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Since I hear you talking about DirectX I dont reccomend for you to use MFC when learning windows programming. Technically, MFC does make your program slower and the user that uses your game needs a DLL. Most Visual C++ books have MFC crap all over in it so dont expect using the Windows API directly to make windows. I reccomend for you to first learn C/C++ then just read theForgers tutorial and you will know windows programming with windows API good (it teaches windows programming better then most books). BTW... windows programming with APIs and MFC are pretty similar in the way you do things so its mostly just a matter of taste.

MFC on the good side will have your program work through many versions of Windows and is object oriented. On the bad side, your program will run slower and users are tied down to an MFC DLL.

Windows API on the good side will deliver speed, but chances are some of the functions will be obsolete in 5 years or more.

Most people use just straight Win32 APIs for their windows programming but its up to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement