🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tips needed by an beginner

Started by
7 comments, last by tariqwalji 13 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys i am from India{Asian country}
last night i had an brief talk with my parents and convinced them that i will continue my career in gaming first they said no but later i made them agree and thats where the real problem starts i dont know what to do to.
I have the following question please some one help me with them

1)In a game developed who earns nice income in future game designer /game programer
2)Were there any collages in India to do the related courses
3)If there no nice collage in India was it worth to do courses as an Internatinol student
4)What are the best collages around the world so that i can be recruited in an nice game developing company

sorry if i asked anything wrong / sorry if i posted in wrong section

please give me u r valuable suggestions

please tell me if there are any other things i have to know i had zero knowledge for now but i am fixed that i am going to divert my career towards gaming please share u r valuable tips with me

THANKSSSSS a lot in advance i know u are all kind hearted people willing to help me
Advertisement
Some seriously clever people in India. Never underestimate your intellectual lineage.

I would say so I have heard if there are no game specific courses in India you *might* want to think about doing a computer science degree and learn game specific code on the side yourself.

That way your career options are broadened to both games and general software. Your parents might be more agreeable with this too. Just have a think.

I'm sure if you get good grades in your studies you could study at University in England.
Quote: Original post by adder_noir
Some seriously clever people in India. Never underestimate your intellectual lineage.

I would say so I have heard if there are no game specific courses in India you *might* want to think about doing a computer science degree and learn game specific code on the side yourself.

That way your career options are broadened to both games and general software. Your parents might be more agreeable with this too. Just have a think.

I'm sure if you get good grades in your studies you could study at University in England.

I came out of High school 10+2 with an aggregate of 91% can i get admission in england universities which of them are best the education in my locality was not much better i have to go around my city for nice education so its ok even its other country if the courses are worth

and thanks a lot for helping me
Anytime mate. 91% will get you in anywhere I think. Any/all of the major UK universities do computer science I think, Liverpool, Manchester, London, Sheffield etc...

Beware London though it's quite expensive to live there. Good place mind.

Just google say "Liverpool University" or "Sheffield University" for example.
Moved to Breaking In.

3)Scroll up and click the small blue "View Forum FAQ" link; read FAQ 66.

4)"Best" is subjective. Only YOU can determine the "best" of anything, since YOUR criteria are unique. Read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

thanks for moving the topic to its place

can u give any info that who can earn most game designer / programmer / audio engineer
Quote: Original post by siddhu143
can u give any info that who can earn most game designer / programmer / audio engineer

View Forum FAQ.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by siddhu143
Quote: Original post by adder_noir

I came out of High school 10+2 with an aggregate of 91% can i get admission in england universities which of them are best the education in my locality was not much better i have to go around my city for nice education so its ok even its other country if the courses are worth

and thanks a lot for helping me

That is a great aggregate. Congratulations.
Many Universities in the UK do computer science courses - however - don't many Indian Universities do them too? If you come to the UK and do a University course you are looking at yearly costs of £15,000 (including accomodation) because you are an International Student. That cost probably increases to £20,000 in London! This year I did an Industrial Placement Year as part of my University course and worked with lots of very well educated guys from India who did Computing degrees.

Game Designer at Playground Games
I agree with Gester. The tuition fees along with your average living costs is really crazy as it is. You'll be paying off your debt for a while as an international student, more likely in the excess of £30,000 or more after you've finished your course.

Unfortunately even after your degree, you'll be competing for jobs. Having a good portfolio is probably a must if you plan on getting into the games industry, but expect longer hours and probably not so good pay at the beginning.

Compare the costs for the universities in India with the universities abroad. As someone said, Computer Science is your best bet. Even if you don't get into the games industry, you want to skill up and gain experience. Things like estimates, prioritisation, designing scalable code and working with industry standard tools are shared across the board.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement